Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: H2Overdrive - A spiritual sequel to Hydro Thunder for Arcades

1. Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    My fiance loved arctic thunder. I don't know why.
    I actually really love Arctic Thunder.

I'd say that the arcade version of Hydro Thunder is better than any version of Arctic Thunder including the arcade, but AT on Xbox is better than any home version of HT IMO.

I really dislike the Dreamcast version of HT, for some reason, it looks & feels WEAK compared to the arcade. Sadly, Midway Arcade Treasures 3 on PS2/Xbox/GCN/PC has the DC version of HT

2. Preview

We go hands-on and deliver the first video footage of this spiritual successor to Hydro Thunder, from part of the team that made the original game.
    By Matt Leone 01/23/2009

If you ask my coworkers, they'll tell you I spend a bit too much of my time tracking developers. The theory, as it goes in my head, is that people who have made games I've liked in the past will probably do so again, so when I heard from an arcade operator friend back in mid-2007 that Steve Ranck had started up a new development studio, I did a double take.

Ranck isn't a household name in the game industry, but his track record holds up better than most. For the purposes of this story -- oh yeah, this is supposed to be a preview of the new arcade boat racing game H2Overdrive; I'll get to that soon, promise -- the most relevant game he's worked is the much beloved Hydro Thunder, which he headed up at Midway San Diego approximately 10 years ago. Following that, he formed Swingin' Ape Studios, which produced the excellent shooter Metal Arms before getting bought by Blizzard to take over development on StarCraft Ghost.

Long story short, Blizzard cancelled Ghost, Ranck left, and then Eugene Jarvis (best known for classic games like Robotron and Defender, and current proprietor of arcade publisher/developer Raw Thrills) convinced him to form a company to make arcade games for Raw Thrills. Enter new developer Specular Interactive and H2Overdrive.

Before Midway closed their arcade division, Ranck and co. were actually working on an official "Hydro Thunder 2" that never made it very far in development. Apparently the name is deceiving, however, as Ranck describes it as "kind of an expansion pack." He elaborates: "We were just gonna add some tracks, beef up the boats, add a new set of boats, and things like that."

"[Jarvis] has figured it out where nobody else has," says Ranck. "Nobody's selling coin-op these days except for Eugene, and he's selling a lot of them. So he called me up, and he said, 'What are you doing?' I said, 'Not a whole lot -- just hanging out here, writing some technology.' And he said, 'I have a project to talk to you about.' So I flew back to Chicago and saw his operation there. He said he's been really successful with what he's done, but he's getting a lot of requests from arcade operators for another boat racing game..."

In everything except the name, H2Overdrive is a sequel to Hydro Thunder. It's still all about boat racing, with a throttle to the right of the steering wheel, no pedals, gameplay focused on collecting boost power-ups, crazy jumps and courses, etc. -- even about half of the team at Specular worked with Ranck on the original back at Midway. When you sit down and play the game, you feel like you're playing Hydro Thunder brought up-to-date. I didn't have to think twice about picking up blue and red power-ups to gain boost power, holding down the button on the throttle to zoom forward, or aiming for ramps whenever possible.

That "up-to-date" part means you'll see plenty of new water physics effects, debris in the middle of courses that you can try to avoid or ram out of the way, and elaborate backgrounds that seem to be going for a Disneyland-style aesthetic. Compared to other games published by Raw Thrills, this is a big step forward visually. "Nobody's really seen a next-gen quality game in arcades for quite a while," says Ranck. If you slow down too much or look closely at a few of the screenshots, you can spot certain textures that prevent the game from competing evenly with top tier console driving games like MotorStorm, but that's not really a fair comparison given the budget allotted to new arcade games these days. A better match would be to think of it as Hydro Thunder HD, along the lines of what Sony did with WipeOut HD. And to keep that comparison going, the game will run at a consistent 60 frames-per-second, which helps a lot in making it look good.

H2Overdrive also adds a few gameplay features to the Hydro Thunder formula -- most notably, an upgrade system that allows players to take their boats from Level 1 to Level 40, earning new abilities along the way. Each time you race, you earn a certain number of "props" (usually over 100), and for every 100 props received, you move your boat of choice up one level. When you hit Level 2, you get the Superboost upgrade that lets you track down gold power-ups for double the speed of your typical boosts. Later on, you earn the ability to perform stunts in midair (which you control by moving the throttle back and forth quickly) along the lines of something you'd find in a Tony Hawk game.

If the name H2Overdrive sounds familiar, you're not crazy. It turns out Crave had a console game in development under that game awhile back. "It was cancelled and their trademark lapsed so we jumped on it," says Ranck, noting "this game has nothing to do with that." Click the image above to check out 20 H2Overdrive screens.

Much like some Atari arcade games towards the end of their run, each arcade cabinet will feature a phone keypad password entry system so you can store data for each of your boats. And though none of this will be customizable -- my Level 40 boat will look just like your Level 40 boat -- Ranck promises additional unlockables in the game outside of the level-up structure. I spotted one hidden shortcut when playing, so we can at least count on those.

Another bonus over Hydro Thunder is that H2Overdrive will support eight players at once. It'll probably be tough to find that many cabinets linked together outside of a tradeshow or the world's biggest Dave & Busters, but it's a nice bump up should any arcade be willing to take the plunge once the game starts hitting arcades in April.

If you happen to live in London, you'll be able to get a taste of the game when it makes its official public debut at the ATEI convention next week, which is appropriate since Hydro Thunder debuted at that same show exactly 10 years ago. Seems a bit too coincidental with all the other connections between the two games, no?

http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3172445

3. Last edited by parallaxscroll; 23 Jan 2009 at 05:48 PM.

4. "All creatures will DIE, and all things will be BROKEN: That is the law of the SAMURAI."

5. Before Midway closed their arcade division, Ranck and co. were actually working on an official "Hydro Thunder 2" that never made it very far in development. Apparently the name is deceiving, however, as Ranck describes it as "kind of an expansion pack." He elaborates: "We were just gonna add some tracks, beef up the boats, add a new set of boats, and things like that."

6. Hopefully the Rush team will do another San Fransisco Rush game since the last one, which was developed for consoles instead of arcades, took place in Los Angeles, and they canceled the last arcade sequel, called Hot Rod Rebels

Notes from Scott : The unreleased sequel to San Francisco Rush 2049 and was cancelled before it was finished.

There are 8 tracks to choose from. Only three of the tracks are complete. Three other tracks are incomplete. You can race those tracks, but there are no textures so It's like Hard Drivin 2000! The last two tracks are unplayable and the music and sound effects are unfinished. The drone car logic is also not complete as they get lost while driving.

The cabinet is a standard 2049 cabinet with lots of modifications. There is a new Quad Stereo amp in the unit to power the new speakers in the tail pipes. Inside each tail pipe is a speaker and an LED light array. There are also real 'taillights' built into the base of the seat. The shifter ball is supposed to be a mini 8-Ball. The gas pedal is a throwback to the 70's pedals that were shaped like a 'cave man' foot. To the right of the monitor bezel is a light tree that signals when you should stomp on the gas. It only works at the beginning of the game. The monitor bezel and marquee bezel are black, instead of the 2049 blue. The seat looks like it is a new design, although it may be the same as Crusin Exotica.

The hardware is very different from the 2049 design. This game runs on a PC- a Pentium III 933mhz with a Geforce 2 card. It uses a special security board to keep the game from being bootlegged. The security board connects via the USB port. If the board is not present, the game will not boot. You cannot run this sofware in a 2049 cabinet.

This prototype gives you a good idea of what the sequel to 2049 might have been. The tracks are very cool, and the graphics are much improved. It's too bad Midway did not see this through to completion. This would have been an awesome chapter in the Rush series.
    http://www.system16.com/hardware.php...&gid=3001#3001

7. Looking at the screens this looks exactly like HT, right down to the speedometer, map, etc. Surprised Midway isn't all over their ass citing IP infringement.
    Finished Games of '09
    nothing at this time

8. Midway doesn't have enough money to hire lawyers

9. American arcade gaming's last stand right here.

What hardware is this running on?