Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recommend me some Sci-Fi

1. RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

In the last year I started Dune but couldn't get past 50 pgs (will probably come back to it).

Ender's Game was decent, but I don't see me picking up any more Orson Scott Card stuff.

Loved/loved/LOVED The Name of the Wind and the Lies of Locke L'Amora (reading the second one now).

How bout the rest of you guys?
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

2. Give Walter Jon Williams' "The Praxis" if you like Space Opera. It is a 3 books series.

3. Will check it out.

Finished Red Seas Under Red Skies (2nd Locke L'amora book)
    Finished 3rd Darth Bane book. Good stuff but the ending sucked.

Reading Ex-Kop right now. Probably go w/some fantasy next.

EDIT
    And started Perdido Street Station but I'm going to set it down. Inter-species sex in the first chapter? kthxbye!
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

4. lol, I actually forgot about that shit. It really isn't touched upon again after that one chapter. Your averse reaction is kind of the point. It is showing that the characters you are dealing with are not typical "good guys" and it illustrates how outside of the "norm" the protagonist is. It even mentions that it is extremely taboo and they would be persecuted if anyone, even their friends found out. If you found anything about the book interesting don't let that put you off. It doesn't play a big role in the book.

Honestly I'd recommend "The Scar" over perdido. Perdido sets things up, but is in no way required reading to enjoy the other books set in that world.

ARISE!

Just finished Alistair Reynolds' Revelation Space. Absolutely fun, over-the-top space opera with everything you could possibly want.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

I've been looking for Neuromancer for the past 5 months. cant find it for shit. So i picked up a couple trashy warhammer 40k novels. the horus heresy, dark angels, Tales of the Ultramarines. Ive read Androids and Enders game. Loved em both. Probably gonna pick up Scanner Darkly and Snow Crash next.

7. I'm re-reading David Gerrold's War Against the Chtorr series. To describe it in very short terms, near-future Earth gets invaded by an alien ecology, which consists partly of huge fearsome man-eating worms.

I forgot how good this series is. Protagonist Jim McCarthy's kind of a whiny bitch, but he's also easy to empathize with due to all the crap he has to deal with. Also, his personality's kind of a necessity with all the moralizing and psychoanalysis that goes on.

I last read this series when I was 12 or 13, when I focused on the action elements. Now, I'm seeing all kinds of interesting interpersonal stuff I didn't pay much attention to back then. Good stuff.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010

8. Thanks for letting me read this great post, keep it up.