Thread: Vanilla Sky

1. Vanilla Sky

I finally got around to seeing Cameron Crowe's latest film, Vanilla Sky...

and I was amazed!

Im all about films (and this probably has to do with my other interests/vices) which sort of bend reality, or deal with escaping reality, or dealing with the power of your mind and your ability to change the world around you. Vanilla Sky was about all of these, and the film was built on such a way that it was always exciting, and always interesting, and always left you hanging for more. During every scene, I was waiting for the next one.

As is my custom, after I saw the film I went online and read some reviews of it. To my surprise, it really got pretty poor reviews... Rotten Tomatoes has a tomato rating (% of good reviews) of 38.

If you didn't like it, feel free to tell me why, but Im not going to get into an argument because I cant really defend my position on the movie. I just loved it. Its one of the types of film I love (I love a lot of different types of films; I just love film in general, far more than games even) and it did it better than practically any one I have seen.

Thoughts thoughts, Im curious to see what people think of this movie. A lot of people I have talked to like it, so I wonder if this is just a case of critics and fans disagreeing (which happens a lot I guess!).

2. I've seen it once, and want to see it again on dvd. I liked how it looked, and enjoyed the plot twists. I'm thinking what people don't like about it is they've probably seen the original (Open Your Eyes) and think it is better, or that they can't sympathize to much with a rich guy who bangs Cameron Diaz and has Jason Lee as a friend.
    pwned by Ivan

3. All I have to say is that I loved it. Thought it was really interesting and actually made me think. However, from talking to my friends, it seems to be a love it or hate it movie. All my friends are on one side or the other. I should really buy this on DVD, cause I need to see it a few more times.

4. i was just going to do a vanilla sky thread.

personally, i think this movie is awesome. it's one that i would put under a genre that my friends and i made up titled "tweaker movies" --- namely movies that just gives you a mind fuck (i don't really like this term). others would include fight club, 12 monkeys, dark city, jacob's ladder, etc.

anyway, vanilla sky has left me very depressed ever since i saw it. seriously, i haven't looked at the world/reality the same way since. i really hope i snap out of it, cuz this really sucks right now. if you just think long enough about the movie and your life, you'd be depressed too.

5. I'm gonna have to see this one again. I went to see in the theatre, but I had a really long day before going and went to a pretty late show. I fell asleep a few times, missing important chunks of the story. I did wake up breifly to Tom Cruise singing Joan Osbourne and laghed my ass off, though. Then dozed off again.

6. I was always interested in seeing this movie, and i think I have all the motivation I need to do it. I got the impression it was a chick flick, but from the comments here, it isn't. Am I wrong.

7. Yeah I really loved this movie when I saw it in the theater. Quite enjoyable. I highly recommend that everyone check out Abre Los Ojos though (Open Your Eyes) as it is even better then this remake.

8. I've been wanting to see this since I first heard about the bizarre premise...but I haven't, and probably won't.

Why? The casting! I can't stand Tom Cruise or Cameron Diaz (and isn't Penelope Cruz in it too? Yeek!), and I don't think I could bear sitting through an entire film with ALL THREE of em. Call me shallow if you must, but I'm picky about this sort of thing.

I shall, however, track down the original.

Satoshi Kon: 1963-2010