Thread: Networking question

1. Networking question

Okay, so the place I'm currently living in is absolute hell when it comes to running wireless. The only thing I've gotten to work is running 802.11n over 5GHz, but while that helps with the interference problems, the make-up of the walls means that not all places can get a strong signal from the router.

So, I think I've come up with a solution, but what I need to know is this: if I get a simple Ethernet hub (not a router, just a hub), can I plug that hub into one of the Ethernet ports on my router, and then plug devices (my consoles, basically) into that hub? I'm sure this is a very low-level type of question, I'm just not sure if hubs will work if they end up at a typical household router (versus like an office wired set-up or whatever).

Should I be able to do that?
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

2. Yes, but I would recommend getting a switch instead of a hub.

3. Yeah I recently got a switch, plugged it into a port on my router and put it in my living room and I have all my consoles/DirecTV running off of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    K3V is awesome!

4. Is there an easy way to share media from a subnet to a machine on the main net?

I have a windows media pc hooked up to my main router wirelessly. I have a 360 and a Mac hooked up to a router which is acting as a subnet from the main router. I have no idea how I got it working but it does, internet does anyway. So anyway, am I shit out of luck or what?

5. it should be fine unless you're not using separate ip ranges (eg; 192.168.100.* for upstairs, 192.168.101.* for downstairs)

6. Well when I set up the second router i had to set it to 10.0.0.254 to get it to not conflict with the prime router, but all that did was allow me to connect to the net. Is there a step I'm just not doing in terms of connecting my mac to the pc, or my router? I haven't for example, opened any ports or changed any DNS things in the routers or the 360, because i haven't got the foggiest about how they work (or if for example, they would help anyway)