Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4:3 on an LCD TV

1. 4:3 on an LCD TV

I just got the Samsung LN40A550, the only disappointment thus far what I found in the manual. I was surprised to see this:

Precautions When Displaying a Still Image a still image may cause permanent damage to the TV screen. Do not display a still image on the LCD panel for more than 2 hours as it can cause screen image retention. This image retention is also known as "screen burn". To avoid such image retention, reduce degree of brightness and contrast when displaying a still image. Watching the LCD TV in 4:3 format for a long period of time may leave traces of borders displayed on the left, right, and center of the screen caused by the difference of light emission on the screen. Playing a DVD or a game console may cause a similar effect to the screen. Damages caused by the above are not covered by the warranty.
    Anyone have any problems? I had no idea this was going to be an issue.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Shinobi128 View Post
    I just got the Samsung LN40A550, the only disappointment thus far what I found in the manual. I was surprised to see this:

Anyone have any problems? I had no idea this was going to be an issue.
    Sounds like nonsense to me. I've never ever heard of image retention/burn in on a LCD TV.

3. I wouldn't worry about it.

4. It can happen on an LCD but it has to be on a RIDICULOUSLY long time. Like 6 months continuously. I think they are just covering their ass.

I used to put up the black bars for regular TV because I thought it looked like shit all stretched out on my old LCD HDTV (a Sharp Aquos) and eventually I did get a weird, translucent line straight down the right side of the screen right where the black bar would start. It was pretty annoying, and I managed to return it to Best Buy with the warranty I had. I was able to get an even better TV and still have money left over, since prices had dropped in the year since I made the purchase, but the point is if I ever watch regular, shitty TV (which is not often) I just leave it stretched out. I'm not gonna deal with that again.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery

6. So long as your 4:3 viewing isn't 99% of the time, it shouldn't matter. I've had my 20" LCD now for about a year. Probably something like 70% SDTV, 15% HDTV, 15% 360 (HD). No hint of image persistence.

My main TV (42" RP LCD) is the same way, and that's actually susceptible to burn-in.
    Last edited by Schlep; 29 Jan 2009 at 05:54 AM.

7. Yeah, I've got those barlines too although you have to be pretty close to see them. I'll have to check the warranty on it...
    tweet the wet sprocket

ultimate showdown

8. As long as you alternate your SD and HD watching, the burn in issue is relatively non-existent in LCD's.

9. I also have some menu-burn on my screen, too.

It's a Westinghouse. I wonder if a Samsung would work out better.
    tweet the wet sprocket

ultimate showdown

The repair dude that came to my house was reading through my manual and looking for the text that says the burn-in can happen, etc (which means it gets them out of the warranty) so I cried and moaned like a woman, mentioned how I hardly ever had the bars up, and why was it only on one side and not the other, this must be some other defect, blah blah blah and eventually he just wrote something up and gave me a receipt to take to Best Buy. I can't remember exactly what he wrote down as the problem but it was unrelated bullshit, but it worked.
    HA! HA! I AM USING THE INTERNET!!1
    My Backloggery