Page 209 of 236 FirstFirst ... 195205207208209210211213223 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,090 of 2353

Thread: Netflix watch instantly :: Recommendations Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    People want formulaic. It's comforting to know House is going to be wrong several times throughout the show, but then at the end something unrelated will happen and he'll have his "Eureka!" moment and save the day.
    Ah, House, that Asshole Jimmy Neutron show.

2. You're not going to get a huge service like this without these shows. 8 hours of engagement vs. 2 hours (for less or as much money) is a better investment. I personally prefer shows to movies especially for comic book adaptations. It's not like movies aren't formulaic.

3. I don't mind 8 hour shows, as long as they don't feel like 2 hour movies padded out to be 4x as long.
    Most of them do.

Most of them don't have a enough yelling and giant robot/monsters for me.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    You're not going to get a huge service like this without these shows. 8 hours of engagement vs. 2 hours (for less or as much money) is a better investment. I personally prefer shows to movies especially for comic book adaptations. It's not like movies aren't formulaic.
    Movies have a much higher ceiling.

I wouldn't go as far as Cow, but he's right. After Sopranos your stock "prestige" TV show was a guy in some sordid business who tried to maintain a regular life but was shrouded in gloom and darkness. And they were all like that. We moved away from that a bit thankfully, but like, what recently hits the highs that Hateful Eight did? Doesn't exist imo.

6. Hannibal was some crazy shit. Also, check out Lady Dynamite.
    Last edited by Rumpy; 19 Aug 2016 at 09:43 PM.

I was so ready to like the new Voltron but it just didn't do it for me. Did I not give it enough? I went about 4 episodes in.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

8. If you didn't like it that far in, I doubt the rest would turn you.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Movies have a much higher ceiling.

I wouldn't go as far as Cow, but he's right. After Sopranos your stock "prestige" TV show was a guy in some sordid business who tried to maintain a regular life but was shrouded in gloom and darkness. And they were all like that. We moved away from that a bit thankfully, but like, what recently hits the highs that Hateful Eight did? Doesn't exist imo.
    I guess I just disagree. There are a lot more movies out there than TV shows but both have their artistic merit. How many Tarantino and Coen Brothers movies do we get vs. terrifically creative tv shows like Stranger Things, House of Cards or The Get Down? I think Netflix content producers are batting stronger than Hollywood or most other networks save maybe HBO or AMC.

Adam Sandler and Ashton Kutcher using the outlet for their garbage doesn't bother me because we're still getting the cool stuff. And unlike traditional networks they don't have to fight for airtime. Everyone gets a shot.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 20 Aug 2016 at 12:46 PM.

I like movies because I can get the full experience in two hours or so. I don't have to waste eight hours of my life before it gets good.