Page 211 of 236 FirstFirst ... 197207209210211212213215225 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,110 of 2353

Thread: Netflix watch instantly :: Recommendations Thread

1. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    You're not going to get a huge service like this without these shows. 8 hours of engagement vs. 2 hours (for less or as much money) is a better investment. I personally prefer shows to movies especially for comic book adaptations. It's not like movies aren't formulaic.
    Does a service like Netflix care about engagement hours? They don't push advertisements, so I don't see what the point would be. I would think they want to keep rotating in and adding new content each month to incentivize subscriber retention.

Ok. I kinda liked Red Oaks. I watched it at least. I think a lot of it has to do with how it's based exactly where I grew up. Also the soundtrack is pretty great.

I don't really think she show is that good though? Like, it echoes a lot of stuff that I like but it's as rehashed and tired as everything else. Kind of half sex comedy half coming of age. It just...none of it carries any weight somehow. I think it's probably the lead actor's expressionless reaction to everything. And, of course, it's all too long and kind of drags. I think Alexandra Socha is very good looking though, with the short hair.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 25 Aug 2016 at 02:13 AM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

3. Beasts of No Nation is the best thing that Netflix have made. I wish they would take more risks like that rather than making more fucking Adam Sandler movies.

Making a Murderer was great but the last 5 episodes could have been edited into 1.

4. That's exactly how I felt about Murderer. I felt it suffered from a lot of the problems The Jinx did, it really could have been half as long, because 85% of it was reiteration and filler.

And Broadchurch is great! I actually watched half of it and stupidly got busy with real life and didn't finish, so I should that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

5. Quote Originally Posted by arjue View Post
    Beasts of No Nation is the best thing that Netflix have made. I wish they would take more risks like that rather than making more fucking Adam Sandler movies.
    Pretty sure they don't make Adam Sandler movies. Adam Sandler produces them and then shops them to Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Does a service like Netflix care about engagement hours? They don't push advertisements, so I don't see what the point would be. I would think they want to keep rotating in and adding new content each month to incentivize subscriber retention.
    Yes, from what I understand. I read a lot over the last year about marketplace service design (I am currently designing one at work). Netflix cares because they're competing for eyeballs and people using the service nth-hours a month is a great predictor of renewal subscriptions. All web services look for these 'magic numbers' and almost all of them have it. That's essentially why all of these services are producing their own content as well. HBO has been doing this for years with hotels.

The opposite is true of movie theatres, which is why movies are better optimized for them. And why the concept of blockbusters is still pretty relevant.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 25 Aug 2016 at 02:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. That's... weird. Their deal with Disney makes a lot of sense since Disney is an IP factory. Adam Sandler's movies must get a lot of people watching them.

One thing to note is that Netflix doesn't seem to interfere creatively with a lot of the production of these series. That explains why Adam Sandler's movies are very... Adam Sandlery. I think that's better even though we have to put up with some buffoonery. Because it would allow better movie concepts from actual artist to flourish, also.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 25 Aug 2016 at 03:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. The first Sandler movie that came from that deal set viewing records for the service.

8. God that's depressing

9. I hate people
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.