Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Legit Female Rockers

Legit Female Rockers

I had Josh in mind when I thought to create this thread, but obviously anyone is welcome to weigh in. My daughter is increasingly interested in music and has developed a strong like of Pat Benatar as well as Tom Petty, though the latter was more directly my doing. Who else would you recommend I expose her to? Obvious ones that come to mind are Joan Jett, Janis Joplin, and Stevie Nicks, but I am sure I am not thinking of or am not even aware of tons of others.

2. Well, there are so many. Kim and Kelly Deal are amazing.

3. How do you dare not mention Heart in your OP Yoshi?

Just play her Crazy On You or Barracuda or some shit and 4 Non Blondes 'What's Going On?'. That'll do it

My OP wasn't intended to be exhaustive, but Heart is clearly a good choice. 4 Non Blondes are less so. I don't need to hear "I get real high" from the backseat.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I had Josh in mind when I thought to create this thread, but obviously anyone is welcome to weigh in. My daughter is increasingly interested in music and has developed a strong like of Pat Benatar as well as Tom Petty, though the latter was more directly my doing. Who else would you recommend I expose her to? Obvious ones that come to mind are Joan Jett, Janis Joplin, and Stevie Nicks, but I am sure I am not thinking of or am not even aware of tons of others.
    Apart from a shameless plug for some females I play with, I have nothing to add except to observe how fast time as gone by. I remember you posting a picture of your "hatchling" a few years ago and now you're talking about her playing music. Holy shit, that old feel!
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

6. Define "rockers"
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

Wow. Everything is Heavy is really good.

8. Thanks!
    "To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often." -- Winston Churchill

I want to turn Yoshi's daughter into a punker.

I suggest Regina Spektor and The Muffs. Lyrics might be a bit ahead of your daughter, but it's good music. I also, for obvious reasons, suggest checking out Rilo Kiley, but Jenny has a foul mouth sometimes. Probably don't let her listen to Glendora.

Ryan's band has some good stuff! I take some credit for that song, but even if I didn't write sections of it it would be a good one. I also recommend Ryan's other (sadly defunct) band The Quarantines. They're a pretty fun power-pop band with male/female vocals, no controversial themes, and no curse words. Cadillac Blindside/The Cardinal Sin has a female drummer, and she's fucking bad ass. Toy Guitar also has a lady on the drums. The Cardigans are great, but the singer isn't exactly a strong woman, so I don't know if your kid should listen yet. Zoloft the Rock and Roll Destroyer might be perfect. Keyboard driven pop punk with male/female vocals. Sometimes the singer talks about the kind of sex she's in to. THE FUCKING RENTALS also. New Wave keyboards, fuzzy guitars and almost constant male/female harmonies.

The Lexington Arrows are a female fronted garage rock band from Baltimore, and they're rad. High School Hellcats were a cool all girl punk band, but their stuff seems to be mostly lost to time. Shonen Knife is a hugely influential all female Japanese pop-punk band. Opening up for them is, I'm pretty sure, the biggest deal show I have ever played. Takako Minekawa is music for insane people, but it's pretty rad. Tegan and Sara have one fantastic album "So Jealous" I think they're lesbian leftists though, and that might not work for you. The Thermals have a female bass player that also writes most of their songs, plays bass and drums on their recordings, and is basically in charge of the band's direction and sound.

I know if Korly were here he'd be talking about That Dog, and he'd be right. If Ramon were here he'd be talking about Who the Bitch, and he'd be right too.

Honorable mentions for Sahara Hotnights, Belly, the Pixies and the Postal Service.

I'd be happy to send you a song or two by any of these artists if you'd like. Hit me up. I'll happily go into more depth on the themes and lyrics if you have any specific questions too.
    Last edited by Josh; 29 Apr 2015 at 05:06 PM.