Thread: CMOS corrupting...

1. CMOS corrupting...

I've never had a problem anything like this, and now it's happened twice in a week and it has me worried, especially since my computer is brand new.

My computer got stuck in an infinite reboot cycle at the post screen (the first thing that pops up when you turn it on). Can't go into CMOS set up, can't do anything. The only way to fix it is to clear the cmos by removing the battery or shorting the jumper on the motherboard.

I figured one time was a fluke, but now it happened again and I'm getting a little worried. What could possibly be causing that?

2. dead cmos battery, replace it and see if it continues

also, try resetting to defaults and shutting the computer down for a little while (unplug it from the wall and everything if it's a tower)

3. Update the bios if the battery isn't the problem.

4. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    dead cmos battery, replace it and see if it continues
    Definitely not. I've had dead batteries before and this is something different.

A) It's brand new
    B) It's not losing its info when it's unplugged or showing anything characteristic of a dead battery
    C) I fix it by clearing the battery. So the battery being dead doesn't make sense.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 08 Feb 2009 at 03:23 PM.

5. Recheck your cpu and ram voltages. Sometimes mobo's don't always set the correct voltage to those two parts.