Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1012131415 LastLast

Thread: Kindle 2

1. For people with PDF's and ebooks in other formats, say from a Sony E-Reader or a Nook. There is a program out there that will convert them and let you upload them to your Kindle. http://calibre-ebook.com/ I know the newest e-ink Kindles are supported and I do believe it supports the Kindle Fire.

*edit*

To add it'll let you go the other way too, say you wanted to put your Kindle stuff onto a Nook, and that sort of thing.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

2. Yeah, my brother told me about Calibre as soon as I unwrapped my Kindle. It's a great resource.

I have so many books to read right now it's pretty insane. Between gifts, and the free "classics" I won't need to be borrowing any eBoOkS for a while... but I'll keep that link handy for when I do.

4. I fucking love my Kindle (3).

I was definitely skeptical about it... I mean, I love books. Love sliding my nose along the inside crack, sniffing the glue. You can't beat an old book, or a new one, or a magazine. And you also can't beat the feeling of looking at a complete series on your shelf, or stumbling across that 1920's John Muir classic in your local used bookstore, or the endless variations of formatting inside the book.

So yes, the Kindle is aesthetically not really as pleasing as a real book - you are fairly limited to specific fonts; imagery doesn't come across so well; there's no color; there's no feeling that each book is a physical thing with a history of owners, or that you'll ever stumble across ebooks at your neighborhood yard sale. Certainly, even if future Kindles address some of these problems, some are innately tied to real books.

But man — the Kindle is fucking awesome at what it does. I've been reading more than EVER before. I actually bought mine when I started reading GRRM's Song of Ice & Fire back in October... and I blazed through each book in only a few week's time. It just makes reading easy. My arms don't ever get tired holding it; hell, I can even prop it up a lot of the time. The built-in booklight in my kindle cover is far, far better than any other attachable booklight, making reading at night, on trips, and in the same room with other people far more enticing. The ability to carry around an entire library in your hand is also a great feeling - I don't need a whole bag if I can't decide what books to bring with me. Not to mention the awesome ability to look up words with the move of a cursor, or highlight and make notes, or search, Ctrl+F-style. It just makes reading so... easy.

I don't think Kindles will ever replace real books or even come as close to destroying physical media like MP3s have done, and movies are well on their way to doing. Books will always have a place in my heart. But my Kindle has certainly already owned its own little cranny, too.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Toupee View Post
    I don't think Kindles will ever replace real books or even come as close to destroying physical media like MP3s have done, and movies are well on their way to doing. Books will always have a place in my heart. But my Kindle has certainly already owned its own little cranny, too.
    That's what people said about music and movies... now look where we are.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com

6. Quote Originally Posted by TobalRox View Post
    That's what people said about music and movies... now look where we are.
    I would not be surprised if ebooks continue to eat a significant piece of that "media pie." I'm sure that we'll see similar effects in bookstores as we have to music stores (our coolest, local music shop finally closed last year *sniff*).

One big thing is: you don't need any special equipment to "read" a book. There will always be enthusiasts who collect vinyl, for instance, but if those folks want to listen to them, they also need equipment. (I've dabbled, and I could certainly go on and on about the pros and cons of vinyl in a digital era.) Of course, the same applies to cassettes, CDs... while you can admire their album artwork, you still need the proper hardware to utilize them.

Similarly, movies; the end result is what really matters to most people. My town now has zero rental outlets, unless you count RedBoxes, or the library—it's becoming less and less important what format the thing is playing from, and digital streaming has become quite convenient. Although I don't think going to the movies will really die out, I often wonder what ticket sales would be like if films were released digitally the same day as their theatrical opening. [This is really a whole 'nother topic for another day, but it's interesting to see people's acceptance of streaming services like Netflix as opposed to "owning" digital media like MP3s. I'm sure eventually the two will be on the same wavelength.]

Anyway, my point is that books are simple. You open 'em up, they work. The only device you really need are your hands. They've also been around a lot longer than recorded music and imagery. While I do think there are a lot of paralells to other digital things, books are kind of in a league of their own.

I'm not trying to belittle your statement, the topic just genuinely interests me.

Films are released digitally the same day, or well before, they hit theatres. If you think I'm wrong then you need better logins.

P.S. I'll have that "vinyl in a digital realm" debate with you on the boards or via PM if you'd prefer. It'll be fun.

8. Borders already went out of business, Barnes & Noble is not far behind. Book stores will be a novelty in a few years and Amazon pushes ebooks hard. Publishers are in an uncomfortable position and doesn't really know what the fuck to do while the world continues to march toward convenience and portability.

9. "Instagram" is worth more than Kodak in 2012. This is just the world we're in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. While your argument about only need the book to read it has some merit, this "special equipment" that you mention is all stuff that people generally already own so it isn't really a big deal... while there are the have nots out there that it isn't the case, it really is a shrinking number. I work in a school that is run by many grants and whatnot due to the low-income population... but many of them still have iPhones and Ugg boots... and they are in 2nd grade.
    Check out my blog: ExHardcoreGamer.com