Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DOS games on XP?

1. DOS games on XP?

I have aquired a copy of Syndicate Wars. It runs on DOS. I have XP. Therein lies the problem.

What's a good solution? Dosbox? Is that easy to use and reliable?

Thx.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Dosbox dosbox dosbox. Problem solved.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. Yup...Dosbox works. I also downloaded a nice front end that automates everything.

Thx.

Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

4. qemu!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Yup...Dosbox works. I also downloaded a nice front end that automates everything.
    Do you have a reccomendation? I've been having a bunch of trouble getting a multi-CD game to work correctly. Under A Killing Moon, if you're interested.

6. Quote Originally Posted by epmode View Post
    Do you have a reccomendation? I've been having a bunch of trouble getting a multi-CD game to work correctly. Under A Killing Moon, if you're interested.
    Here's a list of various frontends (with links) available for Dosbox. Keep in mind that the frontend just enables you to bypass typing in command prompts to start a game. If a certain game isn't working with Dosbox, I don't think a frontend will help much.

FYI, I used D-Box. You just set the path to the game's .exe file. Then you double-click on the game you want to play out of a list and it does the rest. Simple.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxFrontends

Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    qemu!
    How is it compared to Dosbox?
    Last edited by Dolemite; 17 Feb 2009 at 03:30 PM.

7. Quote Originally Posted by epmode View Post
    D-Fend Reloaded is my front end of choice. You're probably having trouble because UAKM is fussy about the need for the CD drive to be mounted as a CD drive. If you mount it as a Hard Drive or anything else, even if you point UAKM to that drive it'll say no dice.

There's an app that can construct a single disc (DVD) version of UAKM or install it to your HDD as well, which I recommend as a convenience as much as a solution to your problem because no one likes disc swapping.
    http://www.adamhearn.co.uk/games/tex...aller_v1.3.zip
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 17 Feb 2009 at 03:51 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    D-Fend Reloaded is my front end of choice. You're probably having trouble because UAKM is fussy about the need for the CD drive to be mounted as a CD drive.
    I've already created ISOs of the discs on my hard drive for use with Daemon Tools. Think that'll help?

I'll try tongiht if SF4 bores me (UNLIKELY).

9. Quote Originally Posted by epmode View Post
    I've already created ISOs of the discs on my hard drive for use with Daemon Tools. Think that'll help?
    That will have zero bearing on things versus real CDs. It's all in how you configure your mounts, which is easy to do with D-Fend Reloaded. You can be mounting a real drive, virtual drive, even just a folder, it doesn't matter as long as you designate it as a CD drive to Dosbox.

But if you're going to put the whole thing on your hard drive anyway, just use the tool I posted to install the whole thing. It'll be much smaller on your drive (about 1.8 gigs) since there's redundant data between discs and you won't have to swap discs ever.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 17 Feb 2009 at 03:59 PM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    Here's a list of various frontends (with links) available for Dosbox. Keep in mind that the frontend just enables you to bypass typing in command prompts to start a game. If a certain game isn't working with Dosbox, I don't think a frontend will help much.

FYI, I used D-Box. You just set the path to the game's .exe file. Then you double-click on the game you want to play out of a list and it does the rest. Simple.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/DOSBoxFrontends

How is it compared to Dosbox?
    probably about the same, qemu is a general purpose machine emulator and not a wrapper for dos apps (so you can use say arm9 apps on a x86 computer)