Thread: Thunderforce VI

1. Thunderforce VI

With a just over a decade elapsed, ladies and gentlemen I present to you Thunderforce VI.

Nothing short of miraculous for a fanbase that watched this shooter institution flicker out with Tecnosoft's departure from gaming. The name lingered via tribute CDs, scraps of CG from a aborted DC project, and the indie monstrosity Broken Thunder, but a resurrection seemed dim, constrained market coupled with rising development costs had curbed more than a few shooter series in recent years ('llo Darius). Enter Sega, with two gifts for grizzled shmup vets in '08; a reinvented Fantasy Zone 2 and a proper Thunderforce sequel dropped with barely three months notice.

Thunderforce VI was directed by Tetsu Okada who dabbled on mini-shooters in past projects, namely Astro Boy GBA and Segagaga for Dreamcast. Okada's first foray into the series, his crew opted not to stray from the formula that culminated into Thunderforce V. In a progressive step all weapons are immediately available for use instead of collected via power-ups. These include twin shot, back shot, wave (TH3 version), hunter, and freeway; which despite attempts to tame is still nearly game breaking. The overweapon system from TFV carries over, now powered by orbs gathered from enemies and triggered in set blocks instead of at player discretion. A minor grievance, the frequent slowdown that accompanies these flashy attacks is far more irksome. Your ship, the aptly named Phoenix is a smart design, its cannon/radar array mimicking a lance and shield at ready. A suitable addition to Tecnosoft's hangar. The time-tested Rynex and its own unique weapon set-up are among unlockables for completing the game.

IMO Thunderforce represents the perfect mesh of elements for a hori. While other shmup staples are prone to a lull here and there, Thunderforce always delivered frantic pacing, multi-direction enemy barrages, and environmental havoc, all without leaving the player feeling outgunned. TF VI is successful in spots. Multi-layered backdrops punctuated with oversaturated color and glowing weapon fire give the game an energetic quality. Subtle changes in camera angles are a modest addition to break the monotony of left to right and add cinematic flair. These are dulled by bouts of slowdown and flat and/or low poly background construction. It wouldn't be a shock if the game sprang from a modified Dreamcast engine. At it's best Thunderforce VI is a furious scramble; standout moments include breaching a multi-layer tropical space station and a low orbit battle ending with atmospheric descent into an alien city. The overall level design is dragged down by the developer’s choice to revisit specific layouts from prior entries. The ocean stage from TF V for example returns virtually intact. With a slim six levels it's disappointing to encounter these flashbacks instead of completely new content and unfortunately this trend spills over to other aspects.

It's very clear that the developers were fans but to ape every element of Tecno's flagship from intro CG to ending is insanely restrained logic. It's entirely possible to embrace a shooter's heritage and still make it a fitting product of the current technology. Gradius V celebrated the core with a multitude of new forms to rip apart piece by incandescent piece. R-Type Final's Bydo were eerily realized foes to rival the best of Hollywood sci-fi. Thunderforce VI simply applies 3D modeling to old enemies with the sloppiness of a petty check forger. Sega certainly had a healthy catalogue to choose from, Lightening Force alone had enough variation from level to level to design several titles from scratch. In TF VI everything is tossed together with little reason and just looks bad. Bosses are retreads as well and worse for wear. Ms. Maiden and Sir Knight were far more imposing in their skeletal Saturn forms and the final boss seems better suited as a Tool album cover than the quaking engine of destruction you'd expect.

Whether it be techno, metal, or more jazzy fare Thunderforce has always been graced with scores that meld perfectly with on-screen action. Culled from several talented musicians TF VI is a good arrangement disc but not necessarily a fitting soundtrack. A light techno-pop remix in a raging inferno level? Interesting choice...and like everything else, most of these tracks were better the first time out. The sound crew may have been better to confer with one another and play more of the game before heading to the studio. Voice work is surprisingly flat. It's odd, the shrill little automaton voice from TF V never bugged me, its panic tone seemed appropriate actually. The warnings and radio chatter in TF VI are delivered with little urgency and are just another small touch that seemed to escape attention.

In all Thunderforce VI is a decent game but a lackluster reboot to the series. I’m not going to feebly shake my fist at Sega. Thunderforce has never been a commercial success, I believe Lightening Force was released to a blurb in Sega Visions and a $6 print ad budget (Midwest Auto Trader isn’t cheap ya know). This was made for fans, by fans that were in error sanctioning their creative liberties. While this could be corrected in further episodes perhaps it’s better to accept Thunderforce VI as a conclusion instead of risking a plunge into medocrity.

To be continued?

Game site:

http://thunderforce.sega.jp/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	st04.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	149.3 KB 
ID:	43338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	st07.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	43339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	st02.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	154.4 KB 
ID:	43340  
    Last edited by Low; 22 Jan 2009 at 07:14 PM.

2. I'd be curious to hear what someone who had never played a Thunder Force game, yet has an appreciation for hori-shooters, thinks of TFIV.

if you don't mind Gooch, this works for me too:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    I was disappointed in TFVI but not as much as I was initially. You can't play the game on normal, it's a waste of time and the game will suck. You have to play on hard or beyond. Also, I liked the game more once I unlocked Rynex (only ship where you lose weapons when you die) as it became more of what I am accustomed to.

Disclaimer: I love TFV.
    though, I've really enjoyed playing on normal too, depending upon what I'm looking for - challenge, or just a nice ride.
    Last edited by Shooting Love; 24 Jan 2009 at 12:17 AM.

3. the screenshots look a bit low-res.... is that an accurate representation?
    MK2 on XBLA plz - let the unfolding of gameplay begin!!

4. You're right they do look a bit off, odd given they are from the game site. The game looks fine on SDTV, cannot comment on HD.

5. completely mediocre.

6. I was disappointed in TFVI but not as much as I was initially. You can't play the game on normal, it's a waste of time and the game will suck. You have to play on hard or beyond. Also, I liked the game more once I unlocked Rynex (only ship where you lose weapons when you die) as it became more of what I am accustomed to.

Disclaimer: I liked TFV.

7. Nothing beats TF4, but on the good side- this is not a clusterfuck. Try Broken Thunder if you'd like a CF.

One great thing is the soundtrack. Stage 3's "Ever Blue" (by Tamayo) does fit in well with the TF series theme. Cerberus II's BGM sounds a bit like something from Sokyugurentai. Go Sato has some great rock BGM for some of the end bosses, and Tsuyoshi Kaneko offers some nice remixes of classic TF boss tunes.

End of level bosses seem to be rehashes of previous ones - especially Cherub Purple and B3. I did expect maybe a little more from the graphics, which are honestly shamed by Gradius V. TF6 is more like a remix of various things from the series than an actual sequel, IMO. Stage 1 is a tad too short. A minute and a half later, here comes the boss.

Forget the Hard setting- even that is too easy. Go directly to MANIAC, or at least use the Rynex once you unlock it. Hard here is actually tame compared to Normal on TF3 & TF4. They should have made it so Phoenix can lose weapons when you die, like Rynex does.