Thread: The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

1. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Always wanted to read this, never got around to it until now. Probably not the best of Franklin's wit and wisdom, but still worth a read in my opinion.
    Being that much of this was written with the intent to pass family history and knowledge down to his son, it covers a lot of mundane accounts of family friends, and relatives.
    It's a short read, should take about 6 hours or so. Wish I read this in my early teens.

Interesting topics include:

The printing of more money for the colony of New Jersey, to which there were many objections by the wealthy, for fear that simply printing more paper money would devalue the currency.

Getting screwed over financially by loaning friends money.

Value of a vegetarian diet.

Sound reasoning on not following a vegetarian diet.

Franklin's 13 steps to living a more virtuous life.

The industrious nature of Franklin at such a young age is inspiring.

And several accounts of what Franklin calls the great errata of his life. Usually some huge mistake which would be a good lesson for anyone to learn from.

The version I read:
    http://www.amazon.com/Autobiography-...6450941&sr=1-6

Another Franklin book I'd recommend is a collection of papers and letters which show the bawdy and mischievous side of Franklin. It's called Fart Proudly.
    http://www.amazon.com/Fart-Proudly-B...6451704&sr=1-2

2. Amazing man. I remember doing a report on him in school and really came to admire his work. I will definitely read these.

3. The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by cka; 05 Apr 2009 at 03:14 AM.

4. Run for your lives, Wikipedia has finally become sentient and decided to assimilate the rest of the internet!

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids