Thread: Looking for HDMI Monitors for Gaming

1. Looking for HDMI Monitors for Gaming

I now have a 360 with an HDMI port. I'd love to fully utilize this, so I'm looking to buy a monitor that ALSO has an HDMI port to replace my old CRT. I figure it would come in handy with my Powerbook for when I want to design something, too!

I like the HP w2207h It seems to have everything I'm looking for, and I can get it cheaper than that with a discounted service plan at work. I've also heard a lot of good things. Is this a good idea, or are there better options?

I'm new to this whole "hi-def" thing, so I'd appreciate the help.
    Last edited by ChaoofNee; 24 Mar 2009 at 11:02 PM.

2. Alright, so I just saw this newer HP monitor for $250.

I've been told, though, that monitors with a response time of 5 ms aren't worth a damn for gaming. Is 2 ms really that much of a noticeable difference?

3. You're never going to get a "perfect gaming monitor." Just make sure the colors are to your liking and buy one. HP (and Gateway) make surprisingly great monitors.

4. my shitty old acer monitor is only 5ms response (probably closer to 8 tbh) and it plays fighters just fine without any lag

(this is through vga, but the point still stands)

5. the main thing you'll want is the console doing the up/downconverting rather than the monitor, that's what primarily introduces input lag

6. So, I'm assuming a 360 and a couple of computers will be fine running off that 23" HP up there. It's brand new, so I can't find any reviews yet.

7. it should be fine yeah

8. I have this monitor with PS3 connected to HDMI, 360 to VGA, and my laptop to the DVI. Works good for my needs, the speakers are crappy, but then again most monitor speakers are.
    "The only way microsoft would make something that doesn't suck is if they made vacuums"

9. Quote Originally Posted by ChaoofNee View Post
    Alright, so I just saw this newer HP monitor for $250.

I've been told, though, that monitors with a response time of 5 ms aren't worth a damn for gaming. Is 2 ms really that much of a noticeable difference?
    I'm not quite sure about the features of the smaller LCD monitors, but the larger monitors have a game mode that shuts off added features, reducing the response time to near 0.