Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Modifying Consoles

1. Modifying Consoles

Well, I've never modded a console before, but now's as good a time as any to learn.

Can any of you teach me anything about console modification? Specifically the GC and XBOX? I've pondered purchasing an import console, but it'll prolly be cheaper (if I don't screw up) to do it myself.

If you have any step by step instructions or links to websites that do, I'd greatly appreciate it.

And, if you could, be as graphic as possible. The more pictures the better. I'm a a combo video/audio learner, so the more input the better.

Tool lists, places to buy mod chips, anything you feel would be helpfull, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

2. Get mods done by professionals. The only console mod I might recommend an amateur undertake is a JPN Cube mod - even though I couldn't quite pull it off as well as I wanted to because of my lack of tools, the procedure is still simple. I wouldn't try this with a USA Cube because you have to pry off a resistor, and I would completely forget about toying with chips and worrying about DVD capabilities with the PS2 or Box - there's just too much to screw up. Cart-based Nintendo console mods, however, are easy as pie, if that's what you're looking into.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

I second what burgundy said. An amateur is crazy if he attempts to go after the PS2 or Xbox.

4. Originally posted by Yoshi
    I second what burgundy said. An amateur is crazy if he attempts to go after the PS2 or Xbox.
    Well, how am I to learn if I don't do a dry run?

I can always buy a new one if I screw it up.

Even still, if you're not willing to help me in my mission, would you mind telling me who these "professionals" are? A website maybe?

Thanks.
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

5. You live in Philly - I'm sure you can find a reputable import shop there, or if not, take a trip to VGC in Howell, NJ, or Chinatown in NYC. Someone should be able to point you in the right direction. You could also ship it to an import shop - NCS will do mods, and I bet PaCrappa would love your business. Even ignoring the risk, the tools and the time will simply add up to more than the $40 per console you'll have to drop for a mod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    burgundy is the only conceivable choice.
    I have an Alcatraz-style all-star butthole.

6. Originally posted by burgundy
    Even ignoring the risk, the tools and the time will simply add up to more than the $40 per console you'll have to drop for a mod.
    But the resulting experience and knowlege would more than make up for the extra spending.

Thanks for the info though.

Now, if only PaCrappa would respond to this thread...

7. Hey

I know that Pa does GC mods, but I don't think he does Xboxes. I had him mod a PSX for me & it works great, & I highly reccomend him. Always spread the wealth with people you know. That is why I started shopping with Pa & I have had one great experience after another.

JM

8. I bought my PSX mod chip myself and had Radio Shack install it. My GC I had done at ColorConsoles.com. It's only 10 bucks with a paint job, if that's your sort of thing.

"I can only say that there is not a man living who wishes more sincerely than I do to see a plan adopted for the abolition of slavery." - Tommy Tallarico

9. Well Saturn mods are easy, as are Genesis and SNES mods, I haven't even attempted any of the Next-Gen stuff, so I can't really comment on it, but I've seen the insides of a PS2 and I'll have to go with the popular opinion that an ametur would be crazy to attempt a mod on one of those beasts.
    http://www.xboxgamertag.com/gamercard/NGE42/fullnxe/card.png

10. I was apprehensive to do the mod thing, but figured it was time to learn. A steady hand, and ability discern the proper solder points is all I needed (after buying the chip and solder iron).

A Dreamcast is a simple place to start modding. It opens up real easy and is completely compartmentalized inside. 5 wires is all that's involved so you won't be overwhelmed.
    When I purchased my chip, NCSX provided a link to a site providing detailed pictures and a walkthrough.

Try practicing your soldering technique on an old radio or something and test whether you can handle connecting wires to the smallest, most crowded, solder points.
    Placing a buisiness card between two extremely close points is a good way to help prevent inadvertantly making an ill connection