Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would Japanese companies even last without the American audience?

zidane747 Guest

Would Japanese companies even last without the American audience?

I'm not talking about the big-hitters like Square and Konami, because they can sell their biggest properties anywhere; I'm talking about the Treasure's and the SNK's of the gaming community. Just look at the DC; it sold piss-poor in Japan, and did much better in America. There are still games coming out for the system. Even Konami released one of their most popular series' sequel(which will remain nameless thanks to my promise)in America a month before hitting Japan's shores. More and more Japanese companies are realizing this, with more and more releases coming to America either before Japan's or in conjunction with them. What do you guys have to say about the situation?

2. And yet they will continue to give America the short end of the stick for no reason at all. Yes, the DC did sell better here. And where are DC games still being made? Makes sense to me.

3. Japan gets tons of extras and the best games before anyone else does.

We get delays, cancellations, and regular releases without the goodies.

They can do without us just fine.

4. Personally I think its BULLSHIT that we dont get cool goodies and stuff as much as Japan. We support lots of Japanese games. But yeah, Japan companies and live without us. All they have to do is pump out dating sims, dance games, and mahong shit.
    Xbox Live- SamuraiMoogle

5. Its a global market, and there are many more people in the US than Japan. However, many 'niche' games and developers (like SNK and Treasure) are 'niche because of their Japan-ness. Who do you think can relate to these games more?

*WARNING: Zerodash is about to make a controversal statement*

Whatever the economics of the issue are- Japanese developers simply make better games than American developers.

6. Originally posted by Zerodash

Whatever the economics of the issue are- Japanese developers simply make better games than American developers.
    It'd be controversial if it weren't true.

7. Originally posted by EvilMog007
    All they have to do is pump out dating sims, dance games, and mahong shit.
    Going off on a slight tangent, I am personally AMAZED at the number of mahjong games that get made. Go to Gamefaqs and take a look at the Playstation "M" page. Maddness! I actually finally gave in this week and got one to see what's so great about the darn game. I scored a copy of Idol Mahjong Suchie Pai 2 for the Saturn off Ebay, so at least if I don't like the Mahjong part it won't be a compleat loss.

8. Originally posted by Zerodash

I have to second that.

9. mahjong rules!!!
    -----------------------
    http://www.gamegen.com/fightgen/dhalsim-yyy.gif
    -----------------------

I think you are losing sight of the big picture from visiting these forums. Just because everyone here buys SNK or Treasure games doesn't mean everyone else in America does.