Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disc Read Errors? DVD's not running? Frustration setting in?

1. Disc Read Errors? DVD's not running? Frustration setting in?

You know, Sony was really starting to get on my nerves for a while. Here they were acting all arogant and stuff, claiming there was nothing wrong with the PS1 when there clearly was, and then acting the same way with the PS2 when rumours started to circulate that maybe just maybe they had released another product that was faulty.
    I didn't put much stock in it at the time because I had been lucky with my Playstation, and things seemed to be going ok with my PS2. I still thought it was wrong of Sony to act all aloof about the whole thing, but I had better things to do then hate Sony.

I continued on my merry way with the PS2, enjoying the summer of love that was last year, and all was well. Almost. Every now and then a disc wouldn't read. I didnt think much of it. Dirty disc maybe. I'd take it out and see nothing at all on the disc, except it's nice shiny blueness. Later as the year progressed I began to notice that this was happening to some games far more often than I'd like. Still, it was now just an annoyance, I could still run the games, and most of the ones that I was buying didn't have a blue back, they were silver. Still, I was ignorant, or maybe I was fooling myself into thinking it was a faulty disc. I actually went back and got a new copy of Maximo, due to this thought. And it seemed to work for a little while. But then the new disc started to act the same way.

I got a little pissed that day, and gathered up all of my PS2 games (about 12 at the time). They were evenly split between blue and silver backed discs (or CDs and DVDs, if you will). I tested each game to see what ran and what didn't. Lo and behold all the silver discs ran (though GTA3 did scare the crap out of me by choosing to not read, that was just a dirty disc happily) and all the blue discs came up with a read error. I had a PS2 which was screwed. I had been bitten by the Sony bug. I lived with the fact that all of my blue PS2 games were essentially useless to me for awhile, and actually began asking game store employees what color the disc was before buying the game.

Finally I asked the right person what color the disc was, because he immediately asked me if I was having disc read problems. I said yes, and he said I should give Sony a call. He gave me the number and I went home skeptical about Sony doing anything about it but impressed with my local EBoutique store. I don't care what some of you guys say, its not the store it's the people in it, and I'm glad to shop at my store.

Anyhoo, as this is becoming a novel, and if you've read this far I thank you, I phoned Sony, they asked me a few questions about what the problem was, had I tried to open it, was I using a DVD remote, was it Sony, was I using a Sony Memory Card, all of the things that would void their warranty. (Here's a hint, don't say you use anything but Sony). They got my email address and sent me directions on where to send the system, where they would repair it and ship it back to me free of charge. The guy on the phone mentioned 15-20 business days (What a LONG time to be without my PS2, I was sweating that one let me tell you) I dropped the system off on Saturday, and it just got delivered to me today. How's that for fast service? And sure enough, it reads all my games. Oh happy day! I guess somebody at Sony knows they have a problem.

So the moral of the story is if you have a PS2 that's not doing what it should, don't wait, give them a call and see what happens. You might just be pleasantly surprised.

2. Great story bro, and I'm happy your Ps2 is nice and fixed up (on the cheap too!).

I've had horrible luck with Sony hardware. Out of all the consoles I have ever had the pleasure of owning, the psone and ps2 have both given me the most problems.

3. Well, Its nice to see a good post about PS2 Usually its just your usual bashing.

Thank god, my PS2 is working just fine. Knocks on the wood !

But its good to hear that the service/repair was done proffesionally and fast.

4. Thanks man, sorry to hear about your systems. But really, if you're having the same kind of problems I did, you should give Sony a call. The worst they can do is say no. (Although that would suck.)

5. I think it's just something in Sony's products. Every Sony radio I've ever owned has crapped out on me, two of my friends have had their Sony trinitron TVs crap out on them as well, and my father's Sony computer has to be the biggest hunk of shit I've ever seen. It's been giving him problems since he bought it.

Sony is overrated as a manufacturer. I steer clear of everything they make, except for the PS2, and, well, you see how that has turned out...

6. If I've said it once, I've said it two hundred million billion times: Sony is great for innovation, but crap for quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    There is wisdom beyond your years in these consonants and vowels I write. Study them and prosper.

7. Well, I used alot of Sony products and have no problems with them.

I have 2 Sony tvs, Trinitron(which is almost 6 years old, and works just fine) and Wega(year and a half old, and alos runs like a clock).
    My PSX is launch model, and it still works, my PS2 work great as well.

I use Sony reciever which is 5 years old, been flooded with water and still works just fine.

I have a set of Sony speakers and they also work without any problems.

I have Sony boombox, and it worked fine, until it got flooded, but it was my own fault. Still it plays tapes just fine, its only cd drive that was messed up.

8. I haven't owned alot of Sony products. A few walkmans, a discman, the ps1 and ps2. Out of all of them only the PS2 has given me cause to complain. And now I can't complain anymore.

9. damn, i feel bad, everyone here as something going wrong, whether it be the PS2, Morrowind on XBox,etc.... me I dropped my PS2 (foot didnt make it over controller wire)it slammed to a hard floor(no carpet)from about two feet up, chipped the side corner of the front of the unit...and it kept running..no problemo.
    -----------------------
    http://www.gamegen.com/fightgen/dhalsim-yyy.gif
    -----------------------

zidane747 Guest
    Originally posted by Despair
    Well, I used alot of Sony products and have no problems with them.

I have 2 Sony tvs, Trinitron(which is almost 6 years old, and works just fine) and Wega(year and a half old, and alos runs like a clock).
    My PSX is launch model, and it still works, my PS2 work great as well.

I use Sony reciever which is 5 years old, been flooded with water and still works just fine.

I have a set of Sony speakers and they also work without any problems.

I have Sony boombox, and it worked fine, until it got flooded, but it was my own fault. Still it plays tapes just fine, its only cd drive that was messed up.

Damn, that's an aweful lot of Sony products. I may have to start calling you Kutaragi-san soon.