Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Setting up an LCD TV

1. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    This is mine. I got my stand off craigs list. The pic isn't flattering but it looks great in person.
    Nice setup. The television looks awesome.

Here's the entertainment center we're going to have shipped next week.

2. That's huge! Looks really good though.

3. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    I want to see a pic when it's set up.
    I posted a pic on April's Haul thread, but here is another. The television was a perfect fit.

4. Sweet set up, but that speaker arrangement is making me cry. Are those your rears sitting on top of the cabinet?

5. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    Sweet set up, but that speaker arrangement is making me cry. Are those your rears sitting on top of the cabinet?
    No, it's a Sony Dolby Surround Pro-logic reciever. The two JBL speakers on top are my center channel, the two on the edges are my front channel and at the rear I have 2 Advent tower speakers. It sounds great.

I don't have a sub-woofer, like a 5.1/7.1 setup and the front channel has 10" (ported) woofers that sound much better anyways. I've seen plenty of crappy 5.1 setups in stores that don't sound half as nice as this setup, and I doubt many will since the speakers alone are worth $700 easily.

I'm about to play RE5 on the setup. I'll hear every moan and scream coming at every angle, just as well as most 5.1 setups I've heard.
    Last edited by gamevet; 05 Apr 2009 at 03:16 PM.

6. It's not as bad as I feared. I'd still go with one center and put it in the middle though.

7. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    It's not as bad as I feared. I'd still go with one center and put it in the middle though.
    One center channel speaker would diminish the sound. Most of the voice channels come through the center channel, while the rest of the voice will echo through the surrounding speakers with scenes like a person talking in an auditorium.

I'd really hate to break up what has worked so well for over 10 years; I wouldn't want to have a $100 speaker sitting in the closet either.

8. Ok, at least push the two speakers together in the middle!

9. Quote Originally Posted by stormy View Post
    Ok, at least push the two speakers together in the middle!

The center speakers have a left and right channel. It would defeat the purpose of having two speakers if I shoved them together.

It is a pro-logic reciever, but it has the ability to push sound to one speaker at a time. If you have a sound coming from your front left and it's sweeping behind you on that side, the sound will start at the left center speaker, move to the left front speaker and then to the two rear speakers. The way the speakers are set up now, is how it is suggested in the user manual.
    Last edited by gamevet; 05 Apr 2009 at 11:43 PM.