Thread: Need internetz (ISP) advice...Fiber network experts needed!

Arrow Need internetz (ISP) advice...Fiber network experts needed!

I currently have Time Warner (roadrunner) service. I get it with the "turbo" boost that claims up to 15mb/s. And honestly, it does often. Or even surpasses it at a blazing 19mb/s on some speed tests. But then it'll drop down to 11-15, but never below 10. Overall, pretty good.

Upload speed is a pretty consistent 1.5 - 1.8.

Problem is, AT&T Uverse is now offered in my area at a speed of 18/2. They claim it's a fiber network, but through t3h researching I've done, only around 10% of customer get a true fttp/ftth (meaning: good) network. The other 90% is fttn, which as I understand is just fiber ran to an existing coaxial cable connection. There's no real advantage to that in my eyes, and from the impressions of customers I've read.

Soooo.....is it worth the risk to switch ISPs and possibly be included in the special 10%? And how would I know if it's a fttp? The tech support at ATT would be better replaced by monkeys, so they're no help. Does the fact that the service is brand new in my particular area give it more of a chance to be fttp?

I'm so confused -_- I am in Austin, TX if that helps whatsoever.
    I took all your French Toast.

2. Can't you get Verizon FIOS?

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    Can't you get Verizon FIOS?
    Nope - not available here. I'd jump on it if I could.

4. I have Verizon FIOS and it's only fiber to the house, which pretty much covers "Fiber to the Premesis." The service is brought into my home through coax. The bandwidth is pretty consistant though.

Instead of asking your service rep if the service is FTTP, you're better off asking if the fiber run is to your home.
    Last edited by gamevet; 01 Apr 2009 at 12:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I have Verizon FIOS and it's only fiber to the house, which pretty much covers "Fiber to the Premesis." The service is brought into my home through coax. The bandwidth is pretty consistant though.

Instead of asking your service rep if the service is FTTP, you're better off asking if the fiber run is to your home.
    Gosh - lucky Dallasers. I almost moved to Flower Mound this month for a job, but decided to stay here for a bit longer. Maybe soon.

I'll ask the tech that. If not - I'll just stick with Time Warner for now. I just like trying new things, and all this fiber talk lately makes me want it.

Thanks