Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trades: Your Best and Worst

1. Trades: Your Best and Worst

This isn't a thread to name the worst trades of all time - it's more of a thread to name the trades and transactions that either devastated you or made you jump for joy. My 2:

Worst: Tom Seaver. I couldn't believe it on June 15, 1977 that the Mets traded the face of their franchise for four losers that I'd barely heard of. Tom had won a championship and had pitched his ass off for losing teams for years and still lead the league in E.R.A. three times. He was my personal hero (I was 10 at the time) and it changed the way I felt about baseball forever. I came to understand trades after that and never got that attached to another athlete again.

Best: Messier to the Rangers. I instantly knew we had a leader and actually had a chance to compete for the Cup that I actually attended three years later. (Mark Messier traded to NY Rangers with future considerations (Jeff Beukeboom for David Shaw, November 12, 1991) for Louie DeBrusk, Bernie Nicholls, and Steven Rice.)
    Last edited by haohmaru; 19 Apr 2009 at 03:35 PM.

2. Dude, do I even need to list mine? lol.

I'll give you my best at least, since you can pretty well guess the worst.

Blue Jays trade Tony Fernandez and Fred McGriff for Robbie Alomar and Joe Carter. Two championships right there.
    Last edited by Error; 19 Apr 2009 at 12:57 PM.

3. Seattle trades the Sonics to Hijack City and all they got in return was a measly $15mil.
    2009 TNL Fantasy Football Champion

4. The Hawks putting the transition tag on Hutchinson. That was the end of what could have been a great run...

Ponying up the cash to be able to even negotiate to get Ichiro was probably the best, in retrospect. Steve Largent being traded here was the best ever but I wasn't alive.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 19 Apr 2009 at 02:51 PM.

5. Not so much a trade as a draft pick, but:

Titans taking Vince Young over Jay Cutler in the '06 NFL draft.

Who knows what kind of damage they could've done in the AFC the last couple of seasons with a good quarterback.

6. Worst: Charles Barkley to Phoenix. <- this made me quit Basketball.

Best: TO.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

7. Worst: traded up and took Mike "fuckstain" Junkin as our lb of the future, go Browns.

Best: Colon to the Expos for Grady Sizemore, Brandon Philips, and Cliff Lee. Complete ripoff and it's called the worst trade in Montreal/washington history.
    Last edited by Othello Harrington; 19 Apr 2009 at 05:53 PM.

8. Actually Biff I'd say the worst trade in Browns history netted QB Mark Herrmann, OL Chris Hinton and OG Ron Solt.

9. Worst Trade: Mike Piazza for Gary Sheffield, Charles Johnson, Bobby Bonilla, and Jim Eisenriech - I causally followed baseaball when I was a young kid, I was only 7 when the Dodgers won the World Series in 1988, and I was too young to realize the magnitude of it all. It wasn't until the 1993 season came around that I was old enough to really start giving a shit about baseball on a daily basis. '93 was the first year that I watched or listened to EVERY Dodger game. Piazza was just emerging on the scene, and he became the first super star baseball player that I became attached to; and naturally he was my "favorite player of all time" up to that point. Then came the fateful day that the Dodgers traded him to the Marlins, and I was absolutely devastated. I'm not afraid to admit that I actually cried a few times that day. LOL. Just like Haohmaru said in the first post, I too "came to understand trades after that and never got that attached to another athlete again."

Best - I wouldn't be a good Dodger fan if I didn't say that Andy LaRoche for Manny Ramirez hasn't affected me in any way...so thats probably up there. However, I would have to say my favorite trade was Milton Bradley for Andre Ethier. Ethier has become a favorite of mine over the last few years, and I hope he has a lengthy career in Dodger blue

As a side note, I'd also like to mention the worst RELEASE the Dodgers have made:

Jayson Werth....he was AWESOME for the Dodgers in the few years that he played for the team, and he performed well in the playoffs. It was clear that he would be a solid 20 HR/20 SB threat for years to come. Sadly, he broke his wrist and the Dodgers didn't have the time to wait for him to heal. The Phillies have a good ball player in Werth.

10. Error, I feel you on that but we passed up 8 hall of famers for Junkin who played 1 whole season.