Thread: Joining a non broadcast wireless network

Joining a non broadcast wireless network

On my mac this is retardedly easy. I can't figure out how to do it with my girlfriends XP laptop. I opened up the connection window and added the network to her preferred list of networks with the correct name, password, and security info. The fucker still won't join.

I kind of hate this. Can anyone give me the scoop?

2. On my laptop there is a switch on the front that needs to be on in order for the internets to work. Did you check for something like that?

3. I have this problem. I blame 'old, retarded wifi card'. I would love if that turned out to be not the answer, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

The magic internet switch is not the problem. The problem is I can not figure out how to join a wireless network that is not broadcasting its information to the world.

5. Turning off broadcasting isn't a security measure at all, but if it makes her feel better:

Turn on the SSID broadcast. Connect with the XP laptop. While connected, disable the SSID broadcast and see if the system will stay connected and reconnect after a reboot. It sounds strange but I've fooled several machines doing it this way.

Or read up on the issue here. Middle of the page for XP.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../bb726942.aspx

I was hoping you'd show up in this thread eventually. Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

7. What Dyne said plus:

Repair your wireless connection but right clicking the wireless connection icon by your clock and clicking repair.

Or manually create the Wireless connection.

8. I've always had issues turning off SSID and being able to reconnect. I just leave it on now and add the mac address filtering.
    “The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, you know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin