Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone around here read comics?

1. Anyone around here read comics?

Just curious. I learned to read on them and buy whatever catches my eye even today. I learned to read on Asterix and Tintin, which were European imports (in English, of course) so managed to avoid the whole Marvel zombie thing, which drives a lot of people away eventually. Blind loyalty to one product only produces burnout, after all.

Have a list of what I'm reading now, it's good for you.

Blade of the Immortal
    Transmetropolitan
    Bone
    Mr Blank (just got the collected GN)
    Sheba
    Girl Genius
    Fables (new series. Buy!)
    Fort: Prophet of the Unexplained
    The Amazing Screw On Head
    Howard the Duck
    Alias
    Doom Patrol
    Usagi Yojimbo
    Promethea
    Tom Strong

...and a few other odds and ends.

Anyone else? Anyone at all?

James

2. I did for a long time, but the death of The Authority (best comic series ever!!) and the infrequency of Planetary has pretty much killed my interest. One day soon I may pick up the ret of the Blade of the Immortal trades like I keep meaning to, along with the Epic Akira trades and From Hell (which is Moore's most incredible work, better than Watchmen, imo).

But the only regular series that I really feel like buying anymore is Daredevil, and I haven't bought that in months, so...
    -Kyo

3. Well, when I was a kid, I was really into the Amazing Spider-Man (or whatever one McFarlane did). More recently, I got into Soul Saga, E.V.E., and BattleChasers mostly for the artwork, since it's just like what I'm doing. Except for Battlechasers, though, they all had regrettable stories and writing, and even BC is borderline. 'course, Joe Mad jumped ship for some gaming copany Trilunar; can't say I wouldn't do the same though.

4. I'm the biggest comic book geek here on the boards, and am always willing to talk comics. I've been reading for 17 years, and don't intend to stop anytime soon. You know, I really have to find that official comic thread I started awhile ago.

5. off topic a little but..

i have a spiderman vs venom hologram card from the marvel universe series 4 collection. (The hologram is a thing of beauty, not handdrawn but the whole thing is like made out of clay, not the actual card itself but the fight scene).

When I first bought it, it was worth around 300 bucks. But that was like 10 years ago...I wonder how much its worth now
    Quote Originally Posted by Ex Ranza View Post
    Halverson had me totally convinced of Cybermorph's greatness, I'll tell you that much.

Then I got a Jag, took it home, and something seemed... not right.

6. Love them comics. I'm getting the last Akira volume and a Blade of the Immortal trade next week. Anyone who likes samurai manga owes it to themselves to get Lone Wolf and Cub. Its from the seventies, it pretty much invented the super stoic badass samurai, the comic which has a movie coming out staring Tom Hanks-Road To Perdition is a rip of Lone Wolf and Cub, the art is beautiful, and the movies (which I hear are great) are coming out on dvd later this year.
    Anyone here read Earth X and Universe X?
    pwned by Ivan

7. Sorry, that card is worth about $1.50 now. The bottom totally fell out of the card market, it was like a nasty case of collector diarrhea.

Forgot to mention Powers. Oops!

Apokryphos- If it sucks, don't buy it. Nothing will chase you away from any hobby, gaming or comics, than doggedly hanging on to something that's completely lost it. Tomb Raider, anyone?

Also, art is nice but a good story takes you farther. Might I recommend the Neon Genesis Evangelion series? Track down the comics if you can over the graphic novels, I'm not sure the GNs kept the color pages and I've always hated the Japanese GN style. I want my art original comic size, no smaller. Although I'll make do if I have to, that doesn't mean I'll like it.

Rare kudos to Marvel- The Ultimate Spiderman Hardcover GN is a thing of beauty. 20-ish issues, art larger than original, great entertainment reading. I've been buying Brain Michael Bendis stuff since Fire. Nice to see him making good.

James

8. I will never stop plugging 100 Bullets. There are other comic fans here who can attest to its greatness. I have no problem saying its consistently the best comic being put out every month. It truly has something for everyone. If you're not sure about it, the first trade is only $10, so you're not losing big. It has the first 5 issues and a short story in it. All the trades are

100 Bullets: First Shot, Last Call (issues 1-5 + short story)
    100 Bullets: Split Second Chance (issues 6-14)
    100 Bullets: Hang Up on the Hang Low (issues 15-19, one of the best stories I've ever read)
    100 Bullets: A Foregone Tomorrow(issues 20-30)
    That will pretty much bring you up to speed. The current issue is #36, the last part of a 6 part story.
    If an of you want, I can give a summary of the trades and my theories on the behind the scenes stuff.

9. A comic you need to read is the TNL Weekly Review...find it and read it...NOW
    What isn't remembered, Never happened

10. Originally posted by BooMsta
    A comic you need to read is the TNL Weekly Review...find it and read it...NOW
    True that.