Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12346 ... LastLast

Thread: The Making of PlayStation

No they didn't. But blind luck doesn't last forever.

Sony has never done anything right. They just benefited from Sega and Nintendo being run by drunken monkeys.

2. QFT. Sony had some crazy stuff at the time though. I remember playing Yoshi Island and 100% the game and then turning it off, turning on my shiny new PS1 with a copy of Wip3out and being blown away and never looking back. Tekken was another big game for me. The conversion was spot-on and (at the time) the game was top notch.

Nintendo and Sega being retarded is one thing, but Sony had some great stuff that melted minds in the beginning.

That whole issue of edge was particularly good. It was actually better than gamesTM this month.

I had a Saturn at early launch, but I didn't buy a PS1 until Resident Evil. Ironically, after the 16-bit generation, Sony's sports games were a big draw over Sega's too.

4. I remember the first time I played a playstation. It was an a festival at um, they had a couple of trucks and four kiosks. I can't remember what game it was, might have been ridge racer, but I remember saying that I had to have it. The market rep pulled me aside, asked me some questions, and I must have answered right because he went into the truck, got out some forms. I signed, and he presented me with a system and a coupon for a free game from sony I could mail in for.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Othello Harrington View Post
    I remember the first time I played a playstation. It was an a festival at um, they had a couple of trucks and four kiosks. I can't remember what game it was, might have been ridge racer, but I remember saying that I had to have it. The market rep pulled me aside, asked me some questions, and I must have answered right because he went into the truck, I sucked his dick right then and there, and he presented me with a system and a coupon for a free game from sony I could mail in for.

I think this is really what happened.

6. I played Toshinden at an import gaming shop that we got all our SFC shit at.

It was jaw-dropping.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. Weirdly enough, I think it was Wipeout (which I never ended up playing until years later) and BioForge (yes, a PC game — it settled the debate over whether I could handle non Anti-Aliasing polys) that sold me on the PS1.

Oh yeah, and Street Fighter.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    I had a Saturn at early launch, but I didn't buy a PS1 until Resident Evil. Ironically, after the 16-bit generation, Sony's sports games were a big draw over Sega's too.
    Same here. My brother reserved the PS1 (and got the dinosaur demo and music cd ahead of time) and I didn't buy one until Resident Evil as well. The initial lineup for it was horrible outside of Ridge Racer. I was never much of a fan of the series.

9. You didn't love Toshinden?

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    The initial lineup for it was horrible outside of Ridge Racer.
    Exactly. And Daytona beat the fuck out of Ridge Racer.