Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update* Does anyone know a source for PS3 Blu-Ray player parts?

1. Update* Does anyone know a source for PS3 Blu-Ray player parts?

A co-worker had a broken 60gig PS3 sitting in the trunk of his car and he let me have it for $6.

The system is fully functional, except the Blu-Ray drive doesn't work. The drive won't even load a disc through the slot, so I'm pretty sure the drive is fucked. I've heard Sony will replace it for @$190, but I could replace it on my own. Would I save any cash by finding one on the internet, or is the price of the drive pretty much the same as having Sony do it?
    Last edited by gamevet; 12 May 2009 at 06:22 PM.

2. I ordered replacement psp parts from this site, and they got here just fine.

I think this is what your looking for, but i think you need the whole drive

http://www.consoleshop.com/product.php?productid=20754
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

3. Yeah, I pretty much need the whole drive. Hopefully the drive board works fine, since I've heard that it's tied to the PS3 console.

4. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yeah, I pretty much need the whole drive. Hopefully the drive board works fine, since I've heard that it's tied to the PS3 console.
    i was about to post this.

In all honesty, you got a 60gb. If it proves too difficult, and since its just the drive see what sony can do about it. Repaired returned 60gb even if you payed sonys repair fee will have a good resale value on it (considering what you paid your co-worker and pay for repair)
    b_ri on Twitch, Games Beaten in 2020 (3): Pokemon Sword (Sw), Detroit: Becoming Human (PS4), Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (PS4),

5. I knew B-ri would be all over this thread.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by B-Ri View Post
    i was about to post this.

In all honesty, you got a 60gb. If it proves too difficult, and since its just the drive see what sony can do about it. Repaired returned 60gb even if you payed sonys repair fee will have a good resale value on it (considering what you paid your co-worker and pay for repair)
    I already have a 60gig, but I wouldn't mind having another PS3 in my office, since I've migrated my current PS3 to the livingroom. I know I could easily sell it for $300+ with the drive repair.

7. If the drive doesn't accept the disc, it may be a simple mechanical problem. There could be a disc stuck in it, or the sensor that detects disc insertion might be covered up.

8. I've already opened it up. There's no disc stuck in the drive.

I believe the motor that slides the discs in and out is broken, since the guy who gave it to me said he couldn't get the disc out of the machine when it died.

9. I completely rebuilt the Blu-Ray drive and after numerous attempts, I finally got it back together the way it should be. The drive works okay at loading and ejecting the CDs, but it won't read what the disc is. The drive spins for a second or 2, stops and repeats the process a couple more times. Is it safe to say it's the laser assembly, even though I can see the red laser is working and should read standard CD and DVD content?

I just discovered that the system has fan issues as well. The fan turns on to the maximum velocity after about 15 minutes. The air blowing out isn't any hotter than my other PS3, but there's gotta be something wrong for this to happen.
    Last edited by gamevet; 11 May 2009 at 03:19 PM.

10. your thread title can be cut down a few hundred characters y'know