Page 1 of 14 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: The Real Estate Thread

1. The Real Estate Thread

From a bunch of assholes.

reality is harsh

i am looking to buy a place that will cost about half of what i could afford and maybe 2/3 of what i could finance just to have a safety net if either 1) i lose my job or 2) the gf leaves

but if both happen, i'm still fucked

Quote Originally Posted by burgundy View Post
    reality is harsh

i am looking to buy a place that will cost about half of what i could afford and maybe 2/3 of what i could finance just to have a safety net if either 1) i lose my job or 2) the gf leaves

but if both happen, i'm still fucked
    Why would your gf leave a fine upstanding citizen like you?

You can't plan for every diaster, just be conservative and do the best you can. You looking to buy in Astoria?

you can plan for a bunch of individual disasters but no you can't plan for them all at once

kew gardens. maybe forest hills if i get lucky.

besides, buying conservatively means that we will be rolling in money if things work out for the best

If we are including non taxable income I have to go a little higher. I make $65 or $85 a night doing sound (depending on the number of bands) I also sling gear on Craigslist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Josh riding the gravy train
    Of note: I have paid all the bills and our rent in full every month for the last eight months while Rebecca saves up for school. One month some shit didn't pan out so she had to pay the rent, outside of that I've been handling my shit.

I don't even like gravy.

I looked at Forest Hills way back when, there are very few condos, most are co-ops and I hate co-ops and their BS draconian board.

Kew Gardens is not bad either but doesn't seem to be as convenient.

You should check out my neighborhood in Brooklyn, very family oriented

where are you? fort greene?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    If we are including non taxable income I have to go a little higher. I make $65 or $85 a night doing sound (depending on the number of bands) I also sling gear on Craigslist.

Of note: I have paid all the bills and our rent in full every month for the last eight months while Rebecca saves up for school. One month some shit didn't pan out so she had to pay the rent, outside of that I've been handling my shit.

I don't even like gravy.
    I am only teasing, but your reported income is deceiving because of all your cash intake... Not that I care since I am not IRS, but it is not as impressive...

where are you? fort greene?
    Right next to it, Clinton Hill. But FG and CH are often linked together, with FG slightly more expensive and CH more family oriented (tons of smaller parks, etc). If you ever need a tour with your gf, just let me know and I can show you around to all the cool spots (and places to avoid).

... we live within spitting distance of eachother.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-K View Post
    ... we live within spitting distance of eachother.
    where u live?

My apartment is going to be infested with TNL vermin. Great.

Downtown Brooklyn, right where the Manhattan bridge vomits out.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    My apartment is going to be infested with TNL vermin. Great.
    HEY RAZOR, LET'S SHARE A BED.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-K View Post
    Downtown Brooklyn, right where the Manhattan bridge vomits out.
    We aren't THAT close, especially if walking... You close to Myrtle?

Closer than anyone else on TNL. The end of Myrtle is like two blocks away.

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Right next to it, Clinton Hill. But FG and CH are often linked together, with FG slightly more expensive and CH more family oriented (tons of smaller parks, etc). If you ever need a tour with your gf, just let me know and I can show you around to all the cool spots (and places to avoid).
    WOW. i just checked clinton hill listings, massive price range fail. had no idea that part of brooklyn was that baller.

WOW. i just checked clinton hill listings, massive price range fail. had no idea that part of brooklyn was that baller.
    Yah the prices have gone up alot the past 5 years, kinda BS, but people are still moving in (especially white ppl!). What's your price range if you don't mind my asking (or go PM).

i'm approved for a 200k purchase with 20% down. welcome to the new financial reality. also this is based 100% on my income and savings bc my gf despite earning nearly as much as me has shit credit. has clinton hill avoided a big hit to real estate prices? if so, good on you.

i'm approved for a 200k purchase with 20% down. welcome to the new financial reality. also this is based 100% on my income and savings bc my gf despite earning nearly as much as me has shit credit. has clinton hill avoided a big hit to real estate prices? if so, good on you.
    Damn. Yah, not much here around that price range, mostly 350k and up I don't know how most of these places are in this price range either considering that there are A TON of new developments and I see many of them not selling.

new developments are the worst - many banks will not even finance their units until 70% are sold. good luck with that. i wanna live somewhere old as shit with people that are old as shit and not going anywhere. bitchy co-op boards can be a blessing as well as a curse - they will keep shit in line.

True. My coworker's daughter recently bought a 1 bedroom co-op in Forest Hills for low 200k I think, definitely under 250k.

burg, I am surprised that you can't get a better loan. My friend just bought a house in NJ for 480k (holy shit the RE tax is ridiculous @ over $1300/month), 1 income family and they put less than 20% down,so they got hit with jumbo rate because of the principal. this is in November/December so right in the middle of the credit freeze. If I have to guess, you make more money than her so I am surprised you can't get approved for more if you can put more money down.

your friend is rich or foolish or both. in addition to the tax and the higher rate she has to pay mortgage insurance if she put up less than 20%.

your friend is rich or foolish or both. in addition to the tax and the higher rate she has to pay mortgage insurance if she put up less than 20%.
    They were super desperate and let's just say they aren't very good with numbers. What they did was extremely risky finanically speaking. The RE tax in NJ is insane, I thought about moving there but it is prohibitively expensive, it makes a 500k house more like 750k.

I spend less a month on a 2900 sq foot home then the RE tax in NJ.

I also could add my car payment to this amount and end up about the same.

Human sanity fail...get the fuck out of NY.

but its NY

Quote Originally Posted by Othello Harrington View Post

But you live in Ohio, you lose.

I should get out of NY, probably will at some point where I can find a similar paying job or transfer to another office.

The tax in NJ is so stupid, the area isn't even that nice. I think the state government must be so corrupted, there is no reason why such populous area require such ridiculous RE tax rates.

Huge deficits everywhere and some expensive cities paying criminally low property taxes are the problem.

Huge deficits everywhere and some expensive cities paying criminally low property taxes are the problem.
    How do these deficits come about? Seems like the tax is out of control and I can't imagine people actually putting up with this crap and not do something about it.

And where are the expensive parts with low property tax?

Seriously but I'll answer this question and be done with it.

Jersey City, Newark, Hoboken (the biggest offender) and Edge Water just to name a few. Some cities (Union City for example) claim to be too poor to keep up its municipality so the state of NJ has to give them emergency money each year.

Jersey City and Newark specifically have grown in expense while the property taxes stayed low so people develop in the cities. It painted them into a corner with the rise of population and the low property taxes given to developers to have them build in those cities.

It's the most obnoxious shit I've seen in NJ.

Singles shit:

I met a hook ups friends yesterday after work and WOW. They're a bit hotter than her and she's hot as hell. Combine this with her roommate and I dunno what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Othello Harrington View Post

yes, but you live in OHIO. i would have to have 2900 sq ft in ohio because i would NEVER WANT TO LEAVE THE HOUSE.

also, i don't have to own a car (in fact it's more of a hassle than anything, except when i have to go outside of the city where the rest of you neanderthals live) so figure out everything you pay into a car every month (seriously it's a shitload of money) and slice that out of my budget.

Hoboken
    can anyone explain why people live in hoboken? it's almost as expensive as manhattan with none of the convenience.

Burg you can say what you want, but I lived there.

There is no way you can justify to me that 250,000 dollars for a two bedroom starter house (lol, apartment) is worth it for better pizza and living in what you assume is the mecha of culture (that you don't participate in anyway)

I'll take better public education, safer living, not being rent poor, and land thanks.

I can send my kids down the road at 6pm to play with friens without any fear of violence, could you?

NY is a great place to live in your 20's-early 30's but not a place for a nuclear family dude.
    Besides I'd rather drive down the road with the top down on my car than suffer 1 more fucking subway ride.
    Last edited by Chux; 14 May 2009 at 02:53 PM.

2. I will do your mom here Chux!

3. So when did you have sex Chux?

4. I love Chux in the bux!

Also, LOL!

5. If a guy has had a girlfriend, and he always breaks up with her because he's an insecure child; is it ok to step in and ask that girl out? He's not that much of a friend, and he's had plenty of chances.

6. Yes Paul, you can date alleycat, tattoos and all.

I say yes, but I don't believe in the bro code.

8. Go for it SSJN, especially if that pussy is quivering for your manhood.

9. Who is this alleycat you speak of.
    And I hate chicks with tons of shitty or any tattoos.

10. You hate anyone with any tattoos.