Thread: Cheapish Computer Speakers

1. Cheapish Computer Speakers

I need to get some computer speakers and wanted to get some recommendations. I don't need anything super fancy, a 2 or 2.1 setup would do just fine. I'd like to try to keep it around $50 or so.

Any good brands/models I should check out?
    Boo, Hiss.

2. I am by no means a speaker/audio expert, but in wanting some cheap-ish speakers for my iMac, I went through a couple of kinds that I hated until I settled on the Logitch X-240 2.1 speakers (Amazon link).

Problem I had with other speakers were sounding tinny or hollow (if that even makes sense), but these aren't that bad. Your local Best Buy / electronics shop should have them out for listening to, so I'd consider them as one possibility.

I will tell you, however, that I had a problem with the headphone jack on my first set, and unfortunately the little unit that plus into my computer is hard-wired into the subwoofer, so it wasn't an easy swap-out of one small piece. However, I had lost the receipt, so I thought I might be screwed, but I called up Logitech and they sent me out a complete new unit once I had send in the subwoofer part without any questions.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

3. I have those as well, and they're not bad (though I wish the headphone jack was on the speaker itself. . I had an Altec Lansing set that I liked even better, but they have a flaw with the volume knob that make them go bad after a year or two, which sucks.

4. yeah the X240s are good (I have them too) and logitech's replacement system is great; most of the time they'll just send you new equipment at their expense so long as you have the serial # handy

edit: I lied, I have the X230 set
    Last edited by cka; 25 May 2009 at 10:30 PM.

5. I've been very happy with a Cambridge Soundworks 2.1 speaker set. I think I've had them for almost 6 years now. They were like $80, great sound considering the size and price.

6. Klipsch ProMedia 2.1? They're 149.99 new, but I know that Klipsch offers (or at least did at one point) refurbs for around 80-90.. and I'm pretty sure you could snag a used set for less than that on eBay or something.

I know that buying used speakers isn't quite as exciting, but if it was my money that's how I'd spend it.
    Last edited by koda; 26 May 2009 at 02:30 AM.