Thread: Podcasts

1. Podcasts

What do y'all look for in a quality podcast? What turns you off? Which podcasts do you fucking despise?

I'm a fan of Cracked's podcast, How Did This Get Made, Stuff You Should Know, and Stuff You Missed in History Class.

Basically I look for a few things: You either have to be entertaining or informative. I cannot stand the tendency of certain podcasts to sound like two ill-informed nerds yelling over each other/interpreting each other to tell a terrible joke, and that seems to be a trend.
    Last edited by Brisco Bold; 12 May 2015 at 01:01 AM.

2. A lot of my favorites have wound down over the years, so here's some stuff going on still.

Savage Love is a good one, a bit like Loveline but less uptight.

Retronauts is half-decent half-awful.

Cinema Sewer puts on a good one about trashy movies.

The Bugle is John Oliver's podcast, and it's pretty rad and cutting.

Invisibilia is rad.
    Welcome to Night Vale was amazing right up to the point where they started doing live shows, then the self-awareness kind of devoured itself.

Radiolab is worthwhile.

This American Life is always great but the old eps seem to go out of rotation before I get to 'em anymore.

Hate List:
    Can't do Hardcore History. Dude's tone is horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. Oooh, Savage Love and The Bugle I gotta check out.

I've stopped listening to Retronauts because I cannot stand their voices/patter. Also, it's really hard for me to listen/read something and think "I know that's inaccurate, so what else is wrong." I get that you can't be perfect, but as we've discussed before, online video game experts really love not doing any actual research, and overreacting to/acting sour when faced with constructive criticism.

4. I only listen to shidoshi casts.
    I dont like vulgarity or stupidity, so that eliminates 90% of podcasts.

5. The Classic Loveline podcast. I admit that my love for 15-year-old Loveline episodes is disproportionate and nostalgia-based, though. Results may vary.

6. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    The Classic Loveline podcast. I admit that my love for 15-year-old Loveline episodes is disproportionate and nostalgia-based, though. Results may vary.
    It's probably herpes.

7. Yeah, that's the cause of about 50% of the called-in problems. The other 50% is "Your dad was an alcoholic."

Often it's both.

8. Your dad was an alcoholic herpe.

Edit: It would be kind of funny/sad when Dr. Drew would take Corolla aside and say, watch this. "Did any adults touch you when you were a kid?"

9. For movie discussion, The Gentlemens Guide to Midnite Cinema is my favorite. 2 45ish minute reviews of films ranging from the sleaziest trash to pure arthouse. The hosts are incredibly knowledgeable and despite how indepth their reviews are, they manage to keep them spoiler free. You are sure to discover some new stuff to watch from these guys.

I also like Sword and Scale, a true-crime podcast covering mainly murders. It's pretty disturbing as they play a lot of the related 911 calls and police interviews.

Almost every comedian has their own podcast, but my favorites are The Todd Glass Show and Harmontown.