Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a must for TNL on the go?

1. What is a must for TNL on the go?

So let's say that we had a theme that was specifically made with the iPhone in mind (and you know, those other things). Considering the difference in needs between TNL at home on your computer and TNL on the go, what elements would you absolutely miss if they didn't exist on the mobile version?

My thinking is to make something that would be as "basic" as possible, both for the sake of load time and also for simple usage on a smaller screen. But what I might consider not necessary you may. Obviously the basics would be: list forums, view forums, view threads, posts in threads, and probably search. What else would be a must?

Also, what is the difference between what information you need for TNL via browser versus mobile? Like, on the homepage, it lists what the latest updated post was for each forum. Do you need that on the mobile version as well, or are things like that less important for the sake of streamlining?
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    are things like that less important for the sake of streamlining?
    This. Also, make a pink version.

3. Quote Originally Posted by shidoshi View Post
    So let's say that we had a theme that was specifically made with the iPhone in mind (and you know, those other things). Considering the difference in needs between TNL at home on your computer and TNL on the go, what elements would you absolutely miss if they didn't exist on the mobile version?

My thinking is to make something that would be as "basic" as possible, both for the sake of load time and also for simple usage on a smaller screen. But what I might consider not necessary you may. Obviously the basics would be: list forums, view forums, view threads, posts in threads, and probably search. What else would be a must?

Also, what is the difference between what information you need for TNL via browser versus mobile? Like, on the homepage, it lists what the latest updated post was for each forum. Do you need that on the mobile version as well, or are things like that less important for the sake of streamlining?
    Also add a blackberry version, k thx.

I can't begin to list missing features of issues on the blackberry, but none are real serious.

4. Something like the link below, except with search and a new post box that doesn't make a mobile browser die would be perfect. (You have to look at it on an iPhone, otherwise links just go to standard pages)

http://secondapps.com/neogaf/

5. Yup - I'm well of the NeoGaf thing. It's what got me thinking about something for TNL. As for Blackberry, I don't have one myself, so it's hard to know exactly how things work for it. I'm trying to make something simple enough that it will hopefully work good on anything.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

6. Is there a way to differentiate options between mobile and computer accounts? For instance, on my phone I limit posts to ten per page so I'm not wasting time loading forty posts I've already read, but when I do that it changes it for my computer as well. It's not a terribly big deal, just annoying to have to keep going into the options on my phone to change things back.

7. Some sort of hot key for mom jokes would be a fantastic time saver.

Your mom is a fantastic time saver.

9. Exactly.

like your mom
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    Is there a way to differentiate options between mobile and computer accounts?
    technically this is feasble, but would be a pain to pull off properly individually

if doshi is down to do it it should be a relatively simple task of automatically setting 10 or 15 posts/page globally based on http user agent (if it's a mobile version automatically toggle it, otherwise leave as user-specified)