Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why won't Opera load my website?

1. Why won't Opera load my website?

My website: http://www.joesartgoeshere.com

Simple, yes. It serves its purpose. Big problem: Opera doesn't like it. Not just me on my Mac, but others have had the same problem.

I thought I was doing swell. I'm sad. Could somebody tell me what the hell is going on? Thanks.
    Last edited by ChaoofNee; 09 Jun 2009 at 12:00 AM. Reason: AGH PUNCTUATION

2. First of all... frames? Really? I mean, in 2009, really?

Second, I've attached a PDF of the W3C validator and what it had to say about your frames page. Both of your main HTML files are fine in Opera when loaded individually, so it seems to be something with the coding of your frames. Check the PDF, see if anything in it makes sense.

I'd tell you what I thought if it, but really, I can't even begin to remember the last time I used frames, so I've forgotten everything about that stuff.
    WARNING: This post may contain violent and disturbing images.

3. I'm only using them because I wanted to get work UP without too much hassle. I was using the code from my friend's site as a base, fixed it up, and threw work on there. Just added some more, actually.

My school never taught much of any web design outside of how to use Dreamweaver. Good shit for graduating with a design major, right? Bastion of academia that shithole is, it's all I had. I'm still teaching myself many things this place ignored, so bare with me.

From the looks of things, I'll have to teach myself quite a bit more. thanks, 'doshi.

4. If your concern is one menu that you update in one place and it changes across the entire site, that's easy to do with a PHP include, and I can show you how to do that.

5. Super simple.

First, create a file, let's say "test.php". Inside this, put whatever HTML code you want to repeat on multiple pages. Don't include headers or anything else, include only the code itself that you want placed into another page.

Then, on the page you want that code to appear on, you would include this line (which assumed that both files are in the same directory):

Code:
    <?php include("test.php"); ?>
    So long as your web host has PHP active (which any respectable hosting would), when the page hits that line of PHP code, it'll pull in the test.php file and insert it in that location. And, voila, you've got one easily-updatable file that can be inserted into as many pages as you need.

6. Oh, shit, that works! Also, now I found the float tag in CSS!

It's like the world just opened up in front of me! Thanks!

7. needs more flaming skull/under construction construction worker gifs

p.s. why are you using jQuery w/ a frame set, you do realize that you likely won't be able to manipulate stuff inside that other DOM with jQuery calls right

cheggit:

Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"
        "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">
    < html>
        <head>
            <meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />
            <title>Page Title</title>
            <style type="text/css">
    #menu { background: brown; width: 150px; float: left; }
    #content { background: blue; width: auto; float: right; text-align: left; }
            </style>
        </head>
        <body>
            <div id="menu">
            <ul><li>menu</li></ul>
            </div>
            <div id="content">
            <p>hey ma</p>
            </div>
        </body>
    < /html>
    Last edited by cka; 09 Jun 2009 at 06:01 PM.

8. Way ahead of you there, pal. Frames will soon be dead once I apply these changes to the rest. http://www.joesartgoeshere.com/pages/loom08.php

I love this CSS positioning stuff. it reminds me of laying out in print! It's still not perfect, but hopefully I can go a bit further now that I found this.

That page is going to shift all over as I work in it for, when I preview while coding in BBEdit, I can't see all of this newfangled PHP stuff in FireFox.

Ah, bastardfishes. Now I need a way for the URL to launch index.php instead of index.html. Is this possible?
    Last edited by ChaoofNee; 09 Jun 2009 at 07:59 PM.

9. .htaccess in your web root:

DirectoryIndex index.php
    if you think css positioning is fun right now, wait until you have to accomodate for every browser's wacky little way of rendering it