Page 1 of 15 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Mirror's Edge Catalyst

1. Mirror's Edge Catalyst

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59130

Looks like Mirror's Edge 2 is early in development with a small team right now. On the one hand I'm glad, on the other hand I'm petrified to think about how they will retool this game to better appeal to the masses. It was a misunderstood game and the public and critical community were wrong. It's not your fault, Faith.

2. I would like to play Mirror's Edge 2.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    It was a misunderstood game and the public and critical community were wrong.
    It's true. Should have been a hit.

Thing is, aside from a few aesthetic choices (1st person cutscenes pls, drop the animation. Oh and make characters I don't hate) and improved combat, I'm not sure what I'd want in a sequel. A more wide-open level design might work but could make the whole thing less urgent. Corridor stuff gets a bad rap these days.

4. Instead of improving the hand-to-hand combat, they should remove it. I think its presence just confused people into thinking they were supposed to use it

5. I wouldn't mind if it was removed entirely either.

One thing I think turned people off was that stupid achievement for not firing a single gun. The game is unneccessarily frustrating if you go for that.

Anyway, I spent most of my time in the time trials mode. I've always seen this as more of a racing game than anything else.

6. Quote Originally Posted by epmode View Post
    One thing I think turned people off was that stupid achievement for not firing a single gun. The game is unneccessarily frustrating if you go for that.
    I completely disagree. I found that achievement to be enjoyable and fairly easy. It's good training for perfecting disarms.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 12 Jun 2009 at 06:42 PM.

7. It has sold better than the majority of games out there. Not saying they won't make changes, though

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I completely disagree. I found that achievement to be enjoyable and fairly easy. It's good training for perfecting disarms.
    Well, most of the complaints were on GAF so I guess that's not saying much.

Anyway, I played the PC version which had no achievements. Disarmed most everyone that got in the way but I definitely dropped a few dozen by the time I was done. The thing is, the AI will often arrange themslves in positions that make is impossible to disarm a guard without being shot in the back. At that point, you can either reload and hope the AI decides to walk in another direction or you can grab a shotgun and mow the fuckers down.

9. Quote Originally Posted by epmode View Post
    Well, most of the complaints were on GAF so I guess that's not saying much.
    I think people think "without firing" meant "punch everyone in the face" which would get old fast. Disarming is really quick and effective and there's no reason that playing that way can't be fun. The office with the computer mainframes was the one part that was really tough to do without firing, and I had fun figuring that out.

I just think this is one of those games that people didn't know how to play.

Anyway, I played the PC version which had no achievements. Disarmed most everyone that got in the way but I definitely dropped a few dozen by the time I was done. The thing is, the AI will often arrange themslves in positions that make is impossible to disarm a guard without being shot in the back. At that point, you can either reload and hope the AI decides to walk in another direction or you can grab a shotgun and mow the fuckers down.
    The AI is very predictable. The key is to learn to manipulate it by being aggressive and then it's a non issue. If you bum rush guards head on, they will always swing when you get inside their circle and then you can disarm them 100% of the time if you're timing's good. This also works out because it goes hand-in-hand with speed play, since it's absolutely the fastest way to deal with enemies in 90% of situations (shooting for the rest).
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 12 Jun 2009 at 07:01 PM.

I love the first game but I'm worried that all the internet assholes complaining about its short length is going to result in a sequel extended with filler.