Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 11131415

Thread: Mirror's Edge Catalyst

1. I expect most reviewers didn't bother with the fancier parkour tricks and tried to play the original like an FPS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. That's exactly what happened. But it gained a cult following of people that "got it" and loved it.

This new one has a different problem, because now those people that loved the first are coming into this with expectations

3. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    That's exactly what happened. But it gained a cult following of people that "got it" and loved it.

This new one has a different problem, because now those people that loved the first are coming into this with expectations
    That's my problem I think. Something is missing. It just seems kinda soulless.
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiMoogle View Post
    It just seems kinda soulless.
    Did they outsource it to Japan? Maybe it should have been on the Golden PSP.

5. Just beat this, played with Runner's Vision disabled. It was pretty good. Looking purely at the story missions, I'd say this is pretty true to the original while also being a clear improvement. Better melee combat, prettier world, and cutscenes that aren't laughable (though still not particularly good). The controversial decision on DICE's end is that these story missions are stitched together in a free-roaming world. I'd say that, ultimately, this is an improvement. It makes for a more natural integration of worthwhile stuff like the original game's trial missions, and while the story missions all take place in the game's best and exclusive areas, there's a lot of fun to be had in learning the layout of the city. Some may tell you that Runner's Vision is needed to get around, but I disagree: I almost always enjoyed the change-up in pace when I had to slow down and figure out how to get to a certain part of town. It's not perfect, as the city could use more landmarks, less choke points, and less arbitrary grapple points (seriously these things are nonsense), but I definitely wouldn't throw all this out.

6. It's a worthy sequel that has a bunch of padding so people don't bitch about it being a 5 hour game, pretty much. I like it, I think it's too bad not everyone got it, but that seems to be the curse of this series.

Lack of padding was a big part of what made the original great. I picked up Catalyst from the Best Buy sale.