Page 1 of 8 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Can I get some critique on my site?

1. Can I get some critique on my site?

So, I work for a company who manufactures and distributes baby nursery furniture and car child restraints. The design brief was "something professional, that won't alienate our customers".

So I did this - http://www.infa-secure.com.au/

There are quite a few things I don't personally like, but the boss wouldn't budge on. I think I've managed to deliver what was asked of me. It's a modern looking, professional site, and the core demographic is mothers / mothers-to-be.

Anyway, I'd appreciate some feedback on the look and functionality of the site, if you have a spare minute or two.

Thanks, faggots.
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

2. -The gradient in the menu is kinda tacky, as is the reflection of the logo. The colors are too flat for that reflection to be there.
    -There are too many colors. I think things like the find a retailer search boxes should be the same color, and your whole site changes color scheme when you go to car products.
    -It seems awfully flashy for how little content there appears to be.

Overall though its not bad, i've seen much worse.

3. Get some better fonts. These scream "domain squatter".
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322

4. Quote Originally Posted by arjue View Post
    -The gradient in the menu is kinda tacky, as is the reflection of the logo. The colors are too flat for that reflection to be there.
    -There are too many colors. I think things like the find a retailer search boxes should be the same color, and your whole site changes color scheme when you go to car products.
    -It seems awfully flashy for how little content there appears to be.

Overall though its not bad, i've seen much worse.
    See, you've commented on just about all the things I don't like but can't change because the boss likes them. The reflection, the colour of the menu on the product pages.

The colour change reflects the two sides of the business, as they have 2 different coloured logos. That in itself, I don't like (I feel a logo should be consistent across a business), but the boss wouldn't budge.

As for content, I'm not sure what you mean.

Get some better fonts. These scream "domain squatter".
    You're referring to the main menu buttons?
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

5. Yes.
    2 GET GUD @ OVERWATCH + SWIGGITYSIX#1322

6. needs more Aborigines
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. and a didgeridoo
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

8. Doc is Not Wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. From a technical standpoint, I highly recommend against using a Flash navigation. Especially since there does not seem to be any aesthetic & functional benefit from it aside from the fade effect (which can be achieved using javascript). It will make the site unnavigable to anyone without Flash (aside from the footer), computers as well as mobile devices, as well (even though it doesn't seem like you are overly concerned with it) take away from your page ranking within Google because of the lack of spiderable content in the main navigation. If you do use Flash for the navigation, make sure the fonts are embedded and are consistent with the rest of the site fonts. Maybe modifying the text so it stands out a little more (size and boldness, not necessarily more color).

Also, from a usability standpoint I recommend against using an internal scrolling box for your "Updates" section on the homepage. Maybe highlight 1 or 2 of the most recent "Updates" in that area not forcing scrolling, and a "click to view more" link that will navigate the user to a dedicated news page. This will both eliminate the internal scroll bar, give your news a dedicated page, as well as improve SEO.

I'm personally not a fan of the design itself, I feel like the homepage and the subpage's lack cohesion. It could be the color schemes & layouts that are throwing me off, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Overall the markup looks decent. Make sure you're putting title tags on your anchors (and not on your images), and alt tags on your images. I could mention a number of things that would help (at least a little) with SEO, and accessibility (for screen readers) if you want me to, but the images and anchors were the first thing I noticed.
    Last edited by Brand X; 16 Jun 2009 at 11:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BerringerX
    I am pretty sure one of the reasons Jesus died is so we could enjoy delicious chicken and waffle fries seven days a week.
    Eat a bag of dicks.

Why is there a tilde over the e in secure, in green?
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.