Thread: What do you guys use for backing up files (software wise)

1. What do you guys use for backing up files (software wise)

So now that I'm home from Florida, and my new 1tb WD Caviar Black was waiting for me I want to do some backing up. Basically I only have a few files that I need to back up really. Losing dvds I've ripped to the comp, or losing music I've ripped to the computer is no big deal. Losing any of my animation shots or demo reel would suck beyond belief. Right now I've just been copying files to an external every couple of months. I'd like to step it up and have something that will just do it every night for me with out me having to. I'd like to have an app where I say ok take this folder, this folder and this folder and copy them to this drive, this drive, and this drive. Anyone have any suggestions?

I would prefer free, if I was backing up and ghosting entire hard drives, I'd pay for something. I have to imagine that for my simple backing up needs I shouldn't need to spend money for something big and complex.

I was looking at 3 on Cnet that seem to have good user reviews.

http://download.cnet.com/Second-Back...-10405044.html

http://download.cnet.com/FBackup/300...-10907579.html

http://download.cnet.com/SyncBack-Fr...-10413802.html

Anyone use any of them, have any thoughts on them?
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

2. I use SyncBack to sync my laptop and desktop with a 2TB NAS drive. It works really well. You can schedule it to run at specific intervals, or when it detects a change to any file in a specific directory.

Mine is set to sync at 3am each morning. I'm syncing my iTunes library, including video and apps, and about 8gb of photographs, and I don't ever notice it.

edit: I also really love the folder comparison thing it does. It makes it really easy to see what is backed up and what isn't.
    Last edited by Detour; 29 Jun 2009 at 09:34 PM.
    ABOUT ME.

"Underground music should have its back turned, it needs to be gone, untrackable, unreadable"

3. I tried out SyncBack but I really didn't like how for each folder I wanted to back up I had to make a new profile, a real pain in the ass IMHO. At least that's how it was with the free version. I've been using FBackup and it's been so much more straight forward and simpler to use.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

4. I use your mom.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. she does do better with backing that ass up