Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I need a better PC monitor

1. I need a better PC monitor

My current monitor is functional, but little more. I'd like a better one, LCD or CRT is fine so long as games look good on it. Any advice?

James

Yeah, be more specific about your needs or take your ass to Google.

3. Been to Google already, otherwise why would I post here? My needs are simple- I want to see stuff and I want games to look good on it. LCD/CRT? Old-style square-ish or widescreen? I have no idea. Therefore I'm asking in a place where the responses might give some form to my completely nebulous want for something a bit nicer than my current 16" viewing area CRT.

James

4. How much are you willing to spend?

What size monitor do you want?

Do you want to watch movies on it, or is it just for games?

Is desk space a concern?

This is what Josh was getting at.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

Get on Craigslist and buy the first thing you see that is $50 or less if you don't give a shit.

6. I've already got one of those, it was actually given to me for free. As I said in my first post, it's functional but little more and I'd like something better.

My current set of needs for my PC monitor have been defined by what I've got, which is 16" viewable at 1024x768. Obviously, this isn't an ideal setup, but it's serviceable. The problem with having gotten used to this is that, when I do get something better, I'll be continually hit with "Oh yeah, I can do this now!", but it's hard to know in advance what "this" is.

ShinJohn, thanks for the help. Here's the answers-

Price- under $400. The more under $400, the better.

I'll be using it for video and games, although I usually just stream video to the 360. Still, the 360 doesn't read all formats and for shorter stuff it's easier not to bother turning all that equipment on.

Desk space is no problem, I can always clear stuff out to make room.

Size- good question, it really depends on the case made for widescreen vs standard format. I'd hate to gain width at the cost of height.

James

7. Do they still make 4:3 monitors? Even if they do, forget it and get a widescreen. I've had my 20" Samsung LCD for more than 2 years and love it to death.

8. Yeah you're gonna have a hard time finding a 4:3 monitor now a days. Personally I'll recommend Samsung monitors. I have 2 of theirs, both the higher end models from last years models and the years before that. One is a 22inch widescreen one and the other is a 19inch 4:3 monitor. The Height of the 22inch one is almost exactly the same as the 19 inch 4:3 one.

Here's 4 Samsung 22 inch models for around 250 - 260.

Side note I love running dual monitors.

*edit*

I think this one looks awesome http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824001273 2ms refresh time sounds fucking amazing. It also has a 30 dollar rebate going on right now.
    Last edited by Shin Johnpv; 01 Jul 2009 at 03:27 AM.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

9. http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VW246H-24...433201&sr=1-10

you can even slap the tnl referral tag on there and make nick a bit of scratch

and if you're hdtvless, you have the opportunity to set up 360 on vga and ps3 on hdmi with pc on dvi input

10. Whoa, I think my eyes would explode from visual overload. My face is generally about 18-24" from the monitor at any given time. Very nice, thanks, and a great price to boot, but maybe a hair into overkill territory.

James