Page 1 of 6 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Building an HTPC

1. Building an HTPC

As I've mentioned in previous threads, my video card and HDD both failed on me last week. Rather than spend $150-200 on another stopgap AGP video card, I've decided to abandon my current rig and build a whole new system. But that leaves open the question of what to do with my current case, mobo, CPU, etc. I thought, hey, rather than sell it off at a loss, why not turn it into a HTPC and use that wireless keyboard I have lying around? Maybe add a TV tuner/capture card, a cheap-ish video card, new hard drive and run it all off of Linux.

Anyone have experience building HTPCs and willing to offer some advice? BTW, my current rig is a ASUS K8NE Deluxe, AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 1 GB RAM.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. Well, I haven't built one but I've been following it for quite some time. I know kingoffighters built one so his advice is worth more but I'll try.

If you're going to go all out and make a real HTPC machine, then you'll need the proper case. Get a case with enough room for additional HDD and you may want to run RAID with it or an external for backup. Nothing worse than having your HDD bite the dust and not having a backup.

Then you're going to want to go the full mile for an HD-compatible video/capture card. I'm not sure if cable capture cards are out or gimped but look into it. If you're going to be ripping stuff off of the television to save it, you're going to want this. Get one that is HDPC-compatible and with a DVI AND HDMI outs.

For optical drives, since it seems Blu-Ray may be winning the HD wars you'll probably want that. Honestly, you can rough it out and wait for a clearcut winner and more dependable technology. You don't want a $1,000 drive that may crap out on you.

Proc and mobo don't really matter too much, but if you're going to be running RAID make sure your board can handle it. Go for something quiet so it doesn't kill the theater experience when running. If you want to upgrade your board you can get cheapo Socket 939 boards.

Seagate for harddrives, no contest. They have a 5-year warranty and 750GB HDD. I predict we'll see full TB HDDs by the end of this year if you want to wait for them. But with prices on these drives already going down to $260 it won't be too long until they'll become affordable.

DO NOT SKIMP ON YOUR SOUNDCARD! I can't stress it enough, especially if you're going to connect a sound system to your HTPC. I forget the name of the card but it's about $100 with 5.1 or 7.1 Sound and TrueHD. You're going to want that no question.

There's a Windows program that works very well with HTPCs and isn't as much as a pain in the balls as Linux is. Once I find the mag I was reading about it in I'll post it here. Windows Media Center edition blows. It'll automatically delete some shows you capture so that option is out the window.

I hope that helps.

3. http://www.gbpvr.com/

It's a little buggy and rough, but it makes the Linux route unnecessary.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    If you're going to go all out and make a real HTPC machine, then you'll need the proper case.

...Proc and mobo don't really matter too much...
    The mobo matters if he gets a HTPC case. He'll need a MicroATX mobo.

5. Don't forget to buy a silencer for whatever video card you buy.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Schlep View Post
    The mobo matters if he gets a HTPC case. He'll need a MicroATX mobo.
    I meant specwise really. And not all HTPC cases need microATX but they're a lot better at keeping things small.

Only specs that he needs to make sure of is that it has enough ports for everything he'll need.

7. Thanks for the input, guys.

If I decide to go through with this project, I'll probably just use my current case (Antec Super LANboy), and the above CPU and mobo. It's not a horizontal case but it's pretty small and light, plus it has plenty of additional drive space. Sound card is a Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

8. Building a HTPC was the best thing I have done last year.

Here is my thread on what I had done on Hardforum:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1037544

I would recommend the following:

-2 gigs of ram
    -lots of hdd space (you will be downloading a ton of stuff.... so get 2 500gig SATA to start, plus you might want to do RAID)
    -Get a cheapie videocard (150 should be your budget)
    -If you have a receiver, then all you need is a good card to handle the audio out. A $23 soundcard like mine will do.
    -AMD's 939 socket CPU is cheap like dirt, might as well since they don't generate alot of heat either

More important are the software... took me a month to configure my HTPC. Getting all the emulators, FFDShow (to upconvert regular DVDs), ripping CDs into lossless format (FLAC, etc) took alot of time (not to mention messing with a skin). I decided to ditch the skin idea, I like it better actually using it like a regular computer. In fact, I am posting this on my HTPC on my 52" HDTV right now Best of luck.

I need to do this. I am sick of converting mkv to a 360 compatible format... it always causes problems in video quality. And it takes fucking forever.

I need a rig that can play back 1080p video. I need a TB of storage with room for expansion. I do not have a receiver at the moment, so I'd need a soundcard with stereo outputs for running to my powered speakers. I also want to be able to use a remote control for navigation. NO MOUSE AND KEYBOARD FROM THE COUCH fuck that shit.

I know nothing. You guys know everything. Help me out.