Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What the hell is this shit?

1. What the hell is this shit?

All my personal settings and files disappeared spontaneously. It could be a coincidence, but it happened right when the cable company came to fire up a new modem. Windows suddenly said it couldn't find the desktop or the My Documents folder. I rebooted and it wouldn't complete booting. I did a system restore to a setting from two days ago and now all my files are gone and I'm back to default settings for everything.

What the hell just happened?

Wait, you let them install something for you? I go to the office and pick up the equipment and set it up myself. I don't want their "techs" anywhere near my house.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Wait, you let them install something for you? I go to the office and pick up the equipment and set it up myself. I don't want their "techs" anywhere near my house.
    There was no choice in the matter. They needed to arbitrarily swap our modem with an identical modem of a different serial number, I guess so they feel like they did something.

I don't understand how that could have caused what just happened, though. It could be coincidence

I just used an undelete program. It has found maybe 1% of what was in those folders, nothing useful.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 13 Jul 2009 at 05:14 PM.

4. Have you run a chkdsk? That sounds more like a hardware failure or corrupt OS than anything swapping out the modem could have caused. Have you had your PC on for a long period and had to shut it down while they did this?

5. No, it happened while the computer was on. I think it must have been some kind of virus or something.

6. Yeah, whatever this thing is is a motherfucker. It also keeps me from changing my desktop, messing with any taskbar settings... I found my files, they were moved, not deleted. Moving them back fixed some things for a minute until I rebooted and then it's all fucked up again. Virus scans can't find shit. Any ideas?

7. That happened to me too. I can't even open any app. I reinstalled Windows and it is all better now.

8. Did you try Malwarebytes Antimalware? That has saved many pc's I've come across. No need to pay for it. The free version should be fine.

9. Yeah, tried Malwarebytes. It's doing something to try to prevent it from running. Ran it yesterday besides.

10. I know its a virus, cause I have it too and its unrelated to Frogs issue. Yet what Frog is taking about I have the same issues.

Nothing works to rid it. The only problem I have THUS FAR is the unable to change the desktop via right click on desktop -> personalize ->desktop. That option is NOT there.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.