Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What the hell is this shit?

1. Quote Originally Posted by cka View Post
    boot with linux live cd/usb drive, copy files off hard disk, nuke filesystem from there, reinstall
    This.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I haven't had a computer virus since 2005. Strangely enough, that's when I stopped using Windows.
    And that.

I haven't had a virus since I started using Firefox.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Cowutopia View Post
    I haven't had a virus since I started using Firefox.
    I use firefox, and I've gotten quite a few that avast! has blocked. Not that took hold, luckily, except for whatever the fuck this was, but I really don't know what happened here. After enough deep scans I think it wasn't a virus, maybe a very weird/unfortunate hard disc error or something. Whatever it was was pretty fucked up but I can't find any evidence of a virus.

5. I would take some time to make sure it isn't a hard drive problem ; the earliest sign of my recent hard drive failure was a few files just up and disappearing.

6. Yeah, I'll run a diagnostic scan overnight just to be sure.

7. So chkdisk is finding nothing wrong, but now I'm getting actual read/write errors on my other disk. Can anyone recommend an alternative disk scan/repair tool (preferably free)?

8. Just use whatever the hdd manufacturer has for download.
    Ultimate Boot CD has all of the harddisk utility programs from the various manufacturers.
    That's usually what I start with.

9. Frog I had this happen to me a few days ago. Wound up losing everything. It is a virus. There is almost nothing you can do, all attempts to remove it and clean the registry failed. It wiped out all my recovery points in windows recovery mode as well.

Just get what you can off of it, and bite the bullet and do a full reinstall. Borrow a recovery disk if you have to.

I just wish I could figure out where this goddamn thing came from. It was brutal. I very much doubt it was your hard drive.

P.S. if you want to try to get Malware Bytes running again you just change the name of the file to some like "Superman.exe" or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Oldham
    Sing a song of Madeleine-Mary
    A tune that all can carry
    Burly says if we don't sing
    Then we won't have anything...