Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1234616 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Pop Punk Albums? (non-Ramones)

1. Oh, and Scourge, have you checked out "Only Crime" yet? Bill Stevenson plays drums and Russ (Good Riddance) is on vocals. Decent band....and some of the songs sound very close to Descendents songs.

2. I'm not much of a pop punk person so you should definitely never listen to what I say but the first thre Briefs albums (1 2 3) are pretty much my faborites in the genre. Some of the better tunes are New Shoes, Poor and Weird, 22nd Century Man, Antisocial and I'll let you figure out the rest.

In high school I liked the first album by Sweet Baby. You guys would probably all like The Exploding Hearts.

3. Quote Originally Posted by magnifiedplaid View Post
    As far as Yellowcard goes, "Ocean Ave." is actually a very good Major Label album IMHO. Its a very fun summer album. After that though, everything went to shit. "Lights and Sounds" had some scattered "decent songs" but it was pretty mediocre overall. Then "Paper Walls" might as well have been a Simple Plan album, it was so bad.

Blue Skies, Broken Hearts...is a good Ataris album, but I don't think its their best. It definitely contains the best/most popular Ataris songs, but for me, its too damn top heavy. The first half of the album is full of killer pop-punk songs, and then the second half is full of half assed acoustic songs that don't hold up to the first half of the album. I actually think "End is Forever" and even "So, Long Astoria" are better whole albums.
    Ocean Ave. is very good for a Major Label album I agree, but I feel like the Violin was toned down a lot on it which hurts the band. I definitely think One For the Kids and The Underdog EP are my favorites from them still.

Yeah, Blue Skies is definitely top heavy, can't argue that, but the first half is so damned good that I still rank it high. End is Forever and So Long Astoria are both great as well though.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

I hung out with a couple of the guys from Sweet Baby last year. They were awesome. They showed up wearing suits and talking about "these kids nowadays don't respect the audience at all" They were old school and awesome, and their songs are damn good too.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    I disagree completely about the Mr. T Experience. I don't care for Dr. Frank's voice one bit. He writes some good songs, sure, but I sure as shit don't want to listen to him sing them.

No, nothing else the Lillingtons did before or after Death by Television even came close. That is one of the best pop-punk albums ever recorded. They should be proud of that one.

Dead to Me is completely eclipsed in every way by One Man Army. If you don't have it already I'd suggest getting the split they did with the Alkaline Trio. There are some truly amazing songs on there. The last release they did (Rumors and Headlines) has a song on it called SOS, which is the bravest and the most honest song I have ever heard.

You already know how I feel about Dead Mechanical, as does anyone else that's ever read any of my posts in Music Discussion. Every day that goes by that you're not listening to Medium Noise is a day wasted.
    Don't know how I missed your post Josh...but I have to make a few comments:

- First, The Mr. T Experience. Are you SERIOUS that you do not like this band? Everything they put out is a fucking classic. I'll give you the fact that Dr. Frank doesn't have the greatest of voices, but then again, I didn't realize that having great vocals was one of the main criteria for being a good pop-punk band. Dr. Frank writes some of the best pop-punk songs period.

- As far as The Lillingtons go, Death By Television is a great album but I disagree that they haven't done anything good since then. "Backchannel Broadcast" is nowhere near as catchy as "Death By Television", but its a solid pop-punk record. It only falls flat because the songs really blend together. I will say, FUCK WHAT BEN WEASEL thinks too, because The Lillingtons do a better version of "Wait It Out" on this album than The Riverdales do on Phase 3.

Also, "The Too Late Show" is a GREAT pop-punk album as well. I know its taboo to say this, but I think its just as good, if not better, than "Death By Television" *gasp* "Vaporize My Brain" is one of the best songs the Lillingtons have ever recorded, and you can't listen to this album without getting "All I Hear is Static" and "Mars vs. Hollywood" permanently implanted into your brain.

Lastly,.....uh...."Shit Out of Luck" is another essential Lillingtons album. Its probably a more juvenile album than anything else they've done, but you need "Lillington High", "I Don't THink She Cares", their "Oh Boy" cover, "Day Off" and quite a few other songs.

- As far as Dead to Me is concerned, I agree that One Man Army completely eclipses them...IF you are talking about their full length album "Cuban Ballerina", which was a very flawed album with a few good songs. However, the "Little Brother" EP is just as good as One Man Army, and it shows that "Dead to Me" is going to grow into an outstanding band in the genre.

- Also, glad to hear that you like Dead Mechanical. They are the best pop-punk band coming out of the Baltimore area today. Medium Noise is going to go down as a classic, and the "A Great Lie" EP is fantastic. I can't wait to hear another full length from this band!

In pop music, melody is very important to me. Dr. Frank can't hack it. Every time I hear him slip into that shitty falsetto I want to hang myself. I'm serious. I'd probably love a Mr. T cover band, but his voice ruins it for me. The first song on his solo album is the business though. I'll give him that.

I've heard all those Lillingtons albums, and I stand by what I said. You're right about their version of Wait it Out.

I used to play in a band with Matt and Dan, so even if Dead Mechanical wasn't totally amazing I'd still be pushing them. Fortunately, they're everything I say they are. You should get their split 7inches too. Serious business...

Also, the definition of "pop-punk" may have changed since I last payed attention, but I'd not call Dead Mechanical a pop-punk band at all.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Also, the definition of "pop-punk" may have changed since I last payed attention, but I'd not call Dead Mechanical a pop-punk band at all.
    Yeah, the term "pop-punk" is very loosely defined these days...especially with bands like "Fall Out Boy" claiming to be "pop-punk." I guess now days, any band thats even remotely punk, but not quite a hardcore band, falls into the pop-punk category. Personally, I'd just label "Dead Mechanical" as punk and be done with it.

9. I think I'd label Fall Out Boys first cd as pop-punk, but nothing they've done since.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. I prefer weirder, noisier punk, stuff thats arguably not even punk. Some picks from me:

"Burn Piano Island Burn" by The Blood Brothers - Underneath the wall of noise is some really great song writing. Its kinda funny that such a fucking chaotic racket required so much thought and attention to detail to execute at this level. Heres one of the least chaotic tracks on the album, one of the few with a decent youtube sound (Just ignore the shitty video).

"The Shape of Punk to Come" by Refused - Amazingly produced and written album with a message of distain towards punk and punk culture. Its almost like a suicide note for the band. Its honest and just amazing. Here's a song from it with the most epic intro ever (once again ignore the shitty video).

I'd post more but i'm running late.