Page 1 of 23 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Pop Punk Albums? (non-Ramones)

Top 10 Pop Punk Albums? (non-Ramones)

I'll admit I'm not an expert in this field so I'm looking for help. I'd like some new stuff to listen to:

What I know I like, and stuff I have:

Screeching Weasel: My Brain Hurts/Anthem For A New Tomorrow (have a lot of their albums, maybe all of them)

The Lillingtons: Death By Television (I love this album; are the rest of their albums good?)

The Marked Men: On the Outside (have all their albums and like them all, On the Outside is fucking perfect though)

Descendents: Have like everything and never really listened to them (!)

Riverdales: Have everything Josh shared at one point, but yet still need to dig into them

ALL: Have like everything and much like the Descendents, never really listened to them. Where do I start?

I should probably listen to the Queers I have too.

Oh, and I really like the Ergs a lot.

So give some Top 5 or Top 10 lists so I can know what else to acquire so I can have something to listen to on my long drives to work.

2. Maybe try some Misfits and Bad Religion?

Misfits are a band I got into around 18 and I've always loved their music until Graves left. Also try some Balzac, The Living End, Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys, and Groovy Ghoulies.

Edit: Try Misfits' Static Age and Dropkick Murphy's Blackout.
    Last edited by Razor Ramon; 13 Jul 2009 at 10:15 PM.

3. I used to have a soft spot for Saves the Day's Through Being Cool and Stay What You Are in high school. But that is definitely high school music.

I guess I still have a soft spot for them.

I have that Saves the Day; it's good, but I'm not going to put on my list.

Update: new (to me) things (I actually already have) that I will be listening to while driving:

Lifetime: Jersey's Best Dancers
    Beatnik Termites: Girl Crazy (!)
    The Steinways: Missed the Boat
    Charlie Brown Got a Valentine: Dismissed

5. Teenage Bottlerocket - I noticed you mentioned The Lillingtons, but NOT Teenage Bottlerocket. Kody from The Lillingtons is in this band. Pick up "Total" and "Warning Device" if you haven't already. "Another Way" is OK too, but Kody isn't on that album. This band recently signed to Fat Wreck Chords to, so they'll have a new album coming out this year.

The Dopamines - "Self Titled" - A lot of people say this band rips off Toys That Kill, but they are probably the best pop-punk band around today besides "The Copyrights" and "Dear Landlord"

The Mr. T Experience - This is THE Pop-punk band. If you like pop-punk at all, you should already have "Revenge Is Sweet And So Are You" and "Our Bodies Our Selves" in your collection. However, really, any album is great. Just don't start with "Alcatraz" or "Yesterday Rules." Save those for last, because they took a way different direction with their sound.

The Copyrights - "Mutiny Pop", "Make Sound", and "Learn the Hard Way are all great albums. The split LP they did with The Methadones is some top notch shit as well.

Dear Landlord - "Dream Homes" - This is the best pop-punk album of the year. Hands down. Its members of The Copyrights, Off With Their Heads, and Rivethead.

Chinese Telephones - "Self Titled" - Get this album if you like The Marked Men a lot. This is one of my favorites.

For Science - "Tomorrow's Just Another Day" - Just an all around awesome pop-punk album. Mikey Erg is a guest on the album as well.

The Leftovers - "Eager to Please" - This is more of a power pop album, and a lot of the songs have a 60s pop/Elvis Costello vibe. Good stuff.

Off With Their Heads - "From the Bottom"

The Lawrence Arms - "Oh Calcutta!" - This is one of my top 5 albums of all time. After you get "Oh Calcutta", check out "The Greatest Story Ever Told", then "Apathy and Exhaustion."

Dead to Me - Check out their "Little Brother" EP, its seriously the best EP released in ages. If you like that, then go ahead and check out their older, slightly more flawed full length "Cuban Ballerina."

The Loved Ones - I guess they kinda count as pop-punk, but they have more of a rock/folksy influence going on. Check out "Keep Your Heart" and "Build and Burn." "Keep Your Heart" is a little more punk, and "Build and Burn" is a little more folksy.

Dead Mechanical - "Medium Noise" - This is kinda "Jawbreaker-esque" but its all kinds of awesome.

The Unlovables - "Crush, Boyfriend, Heartbreak" - Again, Mikey Erg plays in this band as well...listen to this if you want some really fucking sugary pop-punk. Good stuff though. Their follow up album, "Heartsickle" is pretty good too, but its just not as catchy as "Crush, Boyfriend, Heartbreak"

Well, I'll stop there for now....but those are some newer pop-punk bands you should definitely listen too. If I think of more off the top of my head, I'll go ahead and post them.

6. I don't think I've ever done this... it's not going to help you either.

London Calling - The Clash 1979
    ...And Out Come the Wolves - Rancid 1995
    Give 'Em Enough Rope - The Clash 1978
    The Dictators Go Girl Crazy! - 1975
    Cinéma Vérité - Dramarama 1985
    Dookie - Green Day 1994
    Smash - The Offspring 1994
    Heads Are Gonna Roll - The Hippos 1999
    Don't Turn Away- Face to Face 1992

That's a pretty radio friendly list I know, but fuck it.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 13 Jul 2009 at 11:42 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. Random things I think are worth adding to your list:

Yellowcard - One for the Kids ---- This band was much much better before they signed onto a major label.

Ataris - Blue Skies, Broken Hearts... Next 12 Exits --- The best Ataris album IMO.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

I disagree completely about the Mr. T Experience. I don't care for Dr. Frank's voice one bit. He writes some good songs, sure, but I sure as shit don't want to listen to him sing them.

No, nothing else the Lillingtons did before or after Death by Television even came close. That is one of the best pop-punk albums ever recorded. They should be proud of that one.

Screeching Weasel - Formula 27 might be their best work. It's only 4 songs, but those 4 songs are perfect. A lot of people don't like it, but I think Bark Like a Dog is a great album.

The Queers - I love their early stuff for lots of reasons, but Punk Rock Confidential is their best work. There is a little bit of filler on there, but it's more than made up for by the PERFECT pop songs.

The Riverdales - Phase Three. The new version, re-sequenced and with re-recorded vocals completely blows the original version away. Hard to believe since the original was already an amazing album.

Dead to Me is completely eclipsed in every way by One Man Army. If you don't have it already I'd suggest getting the split they did with the Alkaline Trio. There are some truly amazing songs on there. The last release they did (Rumors and Headlines) has a song on it called SOS, which is the bravest and the most honest song I have ever heard.

The Get Up Kids - Something to Write Home About is another example of a perfect album. It isn't pop punk, or punk rock I guess, mainly because it's too good for the genre and there are pianos and slow songs and shit. If you don't have it, get it.

I think Embrace is a great punk rock band, but people like to vagina slap over genres a lot so they get called emo, or hardcore.

With the Descendants I'd say you start at the beginning, with some bands you don't need to listen to everything in chronological order, but this band you really do. The bass player is fantastic. He has a very unique style that I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to copy for a really long time now.

You already know how I feel about Dead Mechanical, as does anyone else that's ever read any of my posts in Music Discussion. Every day that goes by that you're not listening to Medium Noise is a day wasted.

The Vapors. I know we've discussed this already, and they're more of a post punk or new wave band, but their pop songs (first album especially) are better than most anything that has come out since. Another huge influence on the way I play bass.

I love to talk about this stuff, but I've run out of things to say for the moment. Feel free to hit me up on IM or something if you'd like to go further into detail on anything.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    The Get Up Kids - Something to Write Home About is another example of a perfect album. It isn't pop punk, or punk rock I guess, mainly because it's too good for the genre and there are pianos and slow songs and shit. If you don't have it, get it.
    I completely forgot about that album and you're right, it's absolutely perfect. In fact I'm going to listen to it again now.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Random things I think are worth adding to your list:

Yellowcard - One for the Kids ---- This band was much much better before they signed onto a major label.

Ataris - Blue Skies, Broken Hearts... Next 12 Exits --- The best Ataris album IMO.
    As far as Yellowcard goes, "Ocean Ave." is actually a very good Major Label album IMHO. Its a very fun summer album. After that though, everything went to shit. "Lights and Sounds" had some scattered "decent songs" but it was pretty mediocre overall. Then "Paper Walls" might as well have been a Simple Plan album, it was so bad.

Blue Skies, Broken Hearts...is a good Ataris album, but I don't think its their best. It definitely contains the best/most popular Ataris songs, but for me, its too damn top heavy. The first half of the album is full of killer pop-punk songs, and then the second half is full of half assed acoustic songs that don't hold up to the first half of the album. I actually think "End is Forever" and even "So, Long Astoria" are better whole albums.

And, if we're going to continue talking about more mainstream pop-punk, I would put the following bands/albums over The Ataris: Millencolin (Pennybridge Pioneers, Life on a Plate, or For Monkeys), Pulley (Matters), Strungout (Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues), or The Suicide Machines (Destruction by Definition, A Match and Some Gasoline, War Profiteering is Killing Us All).