Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1012131415161828 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis reaches 20 years of age in the United States

1. Yeah, the only good X-Men game in the Ninties had Akuma in it. The only good one not made by Konami anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

2. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    First glance: Hyperstone Heist is traaaaash compared to Turtles in Time, Yoshi. I bet you think the remake is pretty good, though, so there's that.
    I agree. TIT (lol) was a much better game. Still, it was nice to have the turtles on the Genny.

Punisher was shit when it was an arcade game, it answers for itself.
    I liked the game, though it wasn't anything special. It could have been a better port. I don't know why the Genesis version goes for so much on eBay now.

Splatterhouse = meh, maybe you like it.
    I prefer part two to three, but both Splatterhouse games rule.

Vectorman = doesn't hold up, largely stupid 3D levels, not as good as DKC1.
    VectorMan might not have the same "wow" factor DKC had, but it's a much better game, imo. DKC was a dull platformer with an incredible paint job.

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Duo's Forgotten World is MUCH better than the Genesis version, minus the 2nd player.
    It has all the stages, better visuals, and the incredible music, but you have to play alone and with two buttons unless you import a special pad.

Genesis > TG-CD.

Quote Originally Posted by raystorm View Post
    The Sega CD Spiderman wasn't so bad minus those god awful animated sequences. The pinball sequences weren't so good either from what I remember. Pretty funny hearing Kingpin's voice and immediately thinking of Splinter from the TMNT toons (same voice over actor I guess).
    SWINGTIME!

3. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    VectorMan might not have the same "wow" factor DKC had, but it's a much better game, imo. DKC was a dull platformer with an incredible paint job.
    Agreed completely. The first Vectorman is still a blast and DCK was always just coasting on its graphics. Vectorman 2 was never very good though, so that might have hurt its legacy.

4. Vectorman was the most fun the first time I saw it on a Toys-R-Us demo kiosk. The first level is more fun that the rest of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. How is Genesis vs. SNES even a question, now that we've had 15 years to reach the correct conclusion? Unless you prefer playing JRPGs to reading books, there's no reason to ignore the Genesis' superiority. Let's go category by category:

Fighters:
    The greatest fighting game of any era is Street Fighter 2, and the Genesis versions had tighter gameplay while using better controllers. Also, SNES Mortal Kombat 1 was inexcusable, and 32X Virtua Fighter was better than even the Saturn version. THe Eternal Champions games were awesome too. Winner: Genesis

Shooters:
    MUSHA, Thunder Force 2-4, Robo Aleste, I could go on forever. Winner: Genesis

Action Games:
    Every SNES action game has a better corresponding game on Genesis (Bloodlines was better than Castlevania 4, Hard Corps was better than Contra 3, Genesis/Sega CD Earthworm Jim were better than SNES Earthworm Jim, etc.). There are also a shitload of great action games on Genesis that have no answer on SNES, like Vectorman. Winner: Genesis

JRPGs:
    SNES has a ton of good ones, but the Genesis has the best one (Phantasy Star 4). Still, it's only fair to give the edge to the SNES. Winner: SNES

Sports games:
    Winner: Genesis

SRPGS:
    The Shining Force games make this a no-brainer. Winner: Genesis

Platformers:
    This category could go either way. Super Metroid and Yoshi's Island are incredible, but Sega's version of Aladdin was a revelation and Ristar is a life-affirming experience. Then there's the Sonic games, which were pure joy back in the day. Winner: Tie

Beat Em' Ups:
    Sega slaughters the SNES in this category. SNES has Final Fight, Genesis has the far superior Final Fight CD plus the Streets of Rage series. Winner: Genesis

Conclusion: The SNES was for shallow graphics whores that were both allergic to books and unaware that Sega Aladdin was their true messiah.
    Last edited by SpoDaddy; 18 Aug 2009 at 03:57 PM.

How the fuck is Super Metroid a platformer? I hate the ever expanding definition of that genre.

7. Most people classify it as a platformer so I threw it into that category.

8. Remember Doom had platforms you had to run and jump to?

I think I spent more hours on Doom2 and it's custom .WADs than any other platformer.

Doom on SNES sucked.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

9. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy View Post
    ... Aladdin was a revelation and Ristar is a life-affirming experience.
    They're just video games, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy View Post
    Most people classify it as a platformer so I threw it into that category.
    Most people voted for Obama. Fuck most people.