Page 19 of 45 FirstFirst ... 51517181920212333 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis reaches 20 years of age in the United States

1. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy View Post
    Star Fox was a tech demo. Games like that become unplayable once the graphics are no longer a draw. Play Silpheed instead.
    Silpheed sucks now, too. Play Starglider 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    The 6-button pad came out with Street Fighter II, which was the first game to support it, so I don't see how everyone had one before then.
    That was an expensive day for a 17 year-old as I recall.

3. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Yes, BUT, you still had to buy the controller. Anybody playing Street Fighter on either system had some kind of special controller at some point. I had a couple nice joysticks, but didn't mind just using the standard pad at friends' house. You made due, you know?
    I didn't know anyone with a SNES that used a special controller. There was no SNES pad that compared to the Genesis 6-button pad, which left you with the C&E stick that was unattainable for most people. I spent a year saving up for one, only to never find it in a store.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    That was an expensive day for a 17 year-old as I recall.
    And it was a painful one for a 12 year-old with no cash and parent's who didn't buy games outside of holidays (unless it was something my Mom wanted to play).
    Currently Playing: Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster (PC), Let's Build a Zoo (PC) & Despot's Game (PC)

Get Free Bitcoins every hour! - www.freebitco.in

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    The 6-button pad came out with Street Fighter II, which was the first game to support it, so I don't see how everyone had one before then.
    Ranger X supported it and came out 4 months earlier. I can't remember any games earlier than Ranger X that supported the 6 button pad.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Cheebs View Post
    I couldn't stand this train of thought back then and I can't stand it now. The SNES and Genny SFs played EXACTLY THE SAME (aside from the Genny being stuck on Champion while we had Turbo, suckers). But it was always "the Genny version plays better because I don't have to use the dog bone, and I'll take play over graphics".

Well, damn it, I didn't have to use the dog bone either! Neither did any SNES player. I got myself a spiffy C&E Controls 6-button arcade stick with real arcade microswitches. Eat that, Genesis!

And it's not like the Genny people could play on their stock controllers. Unless they wanted to toggle between kick and punch with the start button. So just because the extra controller you have to buy has a first party name stamped on the front, somehow that doesn't really "count" as having to upgrade your pad and thus the Genny version plays better?

Dumbasses.

*Plays SFII with more than 8 colors on the screen*

*Still mad after two decades*
    I used to play resting the controller on my left leg, using the fingers of my right hand for the buttons, and I'd hold the controller with the left hand like most do now.

Basically, I played it like it was a mini joystick. I liked that way more than the way Nintendo had it.

Using your thumbs on the buttons when playing SF on the genesis? You're doing it wrong.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

7. Quote Originally Posted by SpoDaddy View Post
    I didn't know anyone with a SNES that used a special controller. There was no SNES pad that compared to the Genesis 6-button pad, which left you with the C&E stick that was unattainable for most people. I spent a year saving up for one, only to never find it in a store.
    Anecdotal. Just like any of this! Your mileage may vary.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

No, the part about the SNES having no viable controller option for SFII is 100% fact. I had the Capcom stick, and it was shitty.

9. Bhewl-sheeeyt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Timber View Post
    And it was a painful one for a 12 year-old with no cash and parent's who didn't buy games outside of holidays (unless it was something my Mom wanted to play).
    I was in the same boat, except the only game my Mom ever wanted to play was Tetris on the NES, so I was out of luck. I bought the 6 button pad and rented Special Champion Edition more times than I can remember (I pimped the hell out of those Stop and Shop rental coupons) while saving up for the game.