Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

Thread: Sega Genesis reaches 20 years of age in the United States

1. To me, the Genesis had more sleeper hits; the Super Nintendo had the AAA stand-out hits like Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger, but the Genesis had a plethora of more under-the-radar stuff like Lightening Force, Shining Force II, and Ristar. My first import games were on Genesis (Ex-Ranza!), and certain games just felt right on Genesis, like Earthworm Jim, Street Fighter II, and Sparkster.

Indeed a great system. One more year till we buy it it's first beer.

The SNES is lucky the PC Engine is 8-bit, so that it doesn't fall yet another spot down the 16-bit ranking. It's already third best. People who prefer the SNES didn't play enough of the Genesis library and make ignorant claims about things like the weakness of the Genesis RPG lineup and that kind of crap, because they think Square made every RPG ever. And what the fuck does Altered Beast have to do with anything except for proving my ignorance point?

edit: The key is that Sega made the Genesis great (with third party games being icing), whereas the SNES would have been a steaming pile without strong third party support. Thus the reason the Wii sucks balls today.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 17 Aug 2009 at 08:39 AM.

3. Mario Paint > the Sega Genesis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

You don't need to post, Yeller. I already know you're on the wrong side of everything.

5. "In Which Yoshi Is Far Too Serious About Toys That Hooked Up To The Television In The Late Eighties/Early Ninties, Part DXII"
    Last edited by YellerDog; 17 Aug 2009 at 08:45 AM. Reason: subtitle: Do You Remember Love?
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

You can't be too serious about that. (Serious business)^3

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    People who prefer the SNES didn't play enough of the Genesis library and make ignorant claims about things like the weakness of the Genesis RPG lineup and that kind of crap, because they think Square made every RPG ever.
    I love my genesis, I really do, but there's no arguing that it was crushed by the SNES in the RPG department. For straight RPGs the only really amazing one on the Genesis was PSIV (which I will say is one of the finest 16 bit RPGs) but that was it. PS2 and 3 were good but nothing great. SRPGs there were the Shining Forces, and Warsong. And Action RPGs had Landstalker and Beyond Oasis that about did it.

Meanwhile even ignoring the Square games the SNES had Lufia 1 and 2 (part 2 being right up there with PSIV for best RPG of the generation), Breath of Fire, EVO, Earthbound, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Ogre Battle, and Robotrek.

There's really no comparison.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

You can't leave out the Sega CD stuff, but my point wasn't that the Genesis was the better RPG machine. Rather, a lot of people don't know how many good RPGs it did have. It's also better in just about every other genre...

Plus, Sega's games hammer Nintendo's big time. Hell, a lot of the RPGs you mentioned were Sega's own.

9. Well all the Sega CD had was the Lunars, Shining Force CD and Dark Wizard. It wasn't that much.

I really don't like the Genesis/SNES war myself. The truth is they were BOTH fucking awesome and if you'd didn't have them both and play all the awesome games on each of em you were missing out big time.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

10. SNES games look better because of more color and I love the soundchip. I do prefer the Genesis because of the amazing sports games and some amazing titles like Herzog Zwei and shmups.