Page 5 of 78 FirstFirst ... 34567919 ... LastLast

1. God, that trailer made the movie look generic. There's absolutely nothing in there we haven't seen a million times before. Avatar will come out, do ok for itself, and leave a lot of studio execs wondering why it wasn't Mega-Blockbuster.

James
    Last edited by James; 21 Aug 2009 at 01:34 AM.

2. I had never heard of Delgo until now...some obscure CG film, with a bunch of known voice-actors, that didn't even break 1 million while costing 40? Ouch.

This Avatar movie is not at all what I had expected but looks entertaining. Live action does look a little lame compared to all the CG, but it may transition more naturally during the course of the story. I haven't been impressed with these 3D movies yet and will just wait to see it some other way if it will only be played in theaters in 3D.

3. Yeah, really disappointed. Not only does the CG fail to convince, I haven't seen anything in the trailer that demands the aliens be completely CG-rendered. Not what I expected from Cameron, who's demonstrated in the past how to keep special effects from being a spectacle or distraction. Also, the plot appears incredibly derivative, aside from the actual Avatar premise.

I only want this to succeed, so nothing else gets in the way of Battle Angel's production.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    1. The film is in 3-D. And as far as I have heard its in 3-D only. So the trailer is not at the true visual prowess.
    Gimmick Gimmick Gimmick Gimmick
    2. The rumor that was circulated around the time of Comic-Con was from Tom Arnold (posted in Variety Magazine). He got a call from James to save time around November ... They start shooting True Lies 2.
    This was refuted by Cameron on AICN. There are no plans for True Lies 2, Tom Arnold is just... being Tom Arnold.

5. Quote Originally Posted by JoBlo.com
    Weren't wowed by yesterday's AVATAR trailer? That might be because you saw it on 2D on your computer instead of in a theater in 3D as it was intended. Fox and James Cameron seem keenly aware of that and realize that even after Avatar Day, there will still be plenty of people they need to win over. How do they plan to do this?

Fox has partnered with Panasonic for an aggressive marketing campaign that will have the 3D footage coming to YOU. How exactly? Panasonic will be taking a number of their 103" 3D compatible HDTVs and creating an AVATAR roadshow, if you will. They'll be installing the TVs inside rather large luxury tractor trailers and heading out on a tour or US and Europe. The truck would presumably stop at your mall or local movie theater and you can head inside to be brainwashed treated to "full HD 3D assets" from AVATAR.

It's unclear when exactly the tour will begin (the press release states simply "this fall") or where it will stop along the way but expect more details soon. This is the one time that it's OK if you a stranger asks you to come inside their truck to see something really cool...
    Quote Originally Posted by C.net; May 20th, '08
    REDMOND, Wash.--Filmmaker James Cameron sees the world in stereo. So does everyone else, though, and that's exactly his point.

"When you are viewing in stereo, which is what we do," Cameron said, "more neurons are firing. More blood is pumping through the brain."

Cameron has been a big proponent of making movies in 3D, but he said that the digital projectors going into movie theaters are capable of showing more than just movies. Cameron's talk came as part of Microsoft's Advance 08 advertising conference, which runs through Wednesday.

"That digital image can be live," Cameron said. "That digital image can be 3D."

He suggested such locations can show live sports and events, alongside impressive travelogues and other content.

"We're not quite there but we are on the cusp of that and people need to have a strategy for it," he said.

More than 1,000 theaters in the U.S. already have stereoscopic (3D-capable) projectors, while Cameron hopes that there will be 5,000 such facilities by the time his 3D movie Avatar debuts next year.

3D movies have often generated much more revenue than 2D versions of the same film, a potential boon to the entertainment industry. Retrofitting theaters with 3D technology is expensive and difficult, though, and some 3D advocates are unhappy with the pace of adoption.

"I feel as though things have dragged along, and it's been pretty disappointing," DreamWorks Animation SKG Chief Executive Jeffrey Katzenberg said in April, according to Reuters.

3D isn't just for theaters. The real revolution, Cameron said, comes as games and television also start appearing in three dimensions.

"Stereo production is the next big thing," he said. "We are born seeing in three dimensions. Most animals have two eyes and not one. There is a reason I think."

He noted that games, in particular, stand to benefit. First-person shooters become true first-person experiences, he said.

"You are in the game," he said. "This is the ultimate immersive media."

He noted that Ubisoft, which is making the game version of Avatar, already has a stereoscopic game up and running using a standard Xbox 360 and 3D glasses.

Cameron said that displays for laptops, phones, and Zunes can be made stereoscopic even without needing special glasses.

The Windows operating system, Cameron said, should be viewable in 3D.

"They should be talking to their various partners," Cameron said.

Earlier in the day at the conference, Microsoft announced a new "Microsoft Advertising" brand to try to unify its disparate tools for advertisers and publishers as well as an effort to start selling display advertising on mobile phones.
    Might be a gimmick, but he's been planning this gimmick for a LONG time.
    Last edited by Advocate; 21 Aug 2009 at 10:06 AM.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    1. The film is in 3-D. And as far as I have heard its in 3-D only. So the trailer is not at the true visual prowess.
    3D doesn't magically improve visuals. I've never seen a movie that looked BETTER in 3D...only worse.

2. The rumor that was circulated around the time of Comic-Con was from Tom Arnold (posted in Variety Magazine). He got a call from James to save time around November ... They start shooting True Lies 2.
    James Cameron himself debunked this rumor on AICN a month ago. He said there's no plans to make TL2 and he has no idea what Tom Arnold is talking about. *EDIT* I see Mr-K beat me to it.

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Yeah, no. It's not the movement that makes them look fake, it's the shiny lack of detail of the CG that makes them such.
    Agreed. Avatar reminds me of when WALL-E would switch from the cartoony CG people/robots and the live-action people in the B&L ads and the President's videos. Of course, Pixar did that on purpose as a gag, whereas Cameron's being serious. It just looks goofy.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 21 Aug 2009 at 11:08 AM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

7. I disagree. Coraline had a really nice depth of field thing going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. Coraline looked nice in 3D, yes (so did Pixar's Up). But there was some minor blur when things moved due to the 3D that wasn't present in the 2D version.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

9. I didn't have that problem with Coraline, but it was a HUGE ISSUE with Nightmare Before Christmas. lol i really don't like that movie anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. Remember when 3d was the NEXT BIG THING back in the 80s?

Yeah.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.