Page 74 of 78 FirstFirst ... 60707273747576 ... LastLast

1. Unobtainium is a stupid name. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I'm no Avatar apologist, but that Pocahontas thing is so tired. Why didn't anyone lambast The Lion King for paralleling Hamlet? Or Star Wars for following in the wake of Every Arthurian Knight Tale Ever?
    Because both of those were the most entertaining versions in a very long time. Even Star Wars fans rarely say the original is the good movie of the trilogy, and that ESB - which retains the archetypes but jettisons most of the heavily recycled story - is better in every way. Personally, aside from nostalgia and film acknowledgment, I wouldn't call A New Hope a very good movie either. It's boring and simple, carried entirely by its visual style and slick execution. Luke is a whiny motherfucker too.

Hamlet hasn't been told in a well digestible format for the masses in a long time. There was a brief period where Hollywood was recreating Shakespeare as teenage popcorn flicks (10 Things I Hate About You, O) but they ran out of steam pretty quick, and they weren't great movies anyway. The Lion King was a pretty good retelling of a story that hadn't been done well in a while.

Avatar, however, was a mediocre retelling of a mediocre story that was itself neutered in order to make people like it, and has had like three movies with the same exact plot and characters in the last decade. This is not a good start. Also, as I already said, Battle for Terra did get lambasted for the same shit.

[edit] Why are we even going over this again? This thread has already covered all these topics, this is silly.
    Last edited by MechDeus; 12 Apr 2011 at 12:10 AM.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    Again Entertainment >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Technically right.
    I found that technically right term entertaining.

You assume the two could never be mutually exclusive, but they can be.

3. If you're going to knock Avatar for being a bad retelling of Pocahontas, that's fair. What isn't fair is knocking it for being a retelling of Pocahontas period, which is the camp I initially lumped you into, Mech.

4. I don't even like Pocahontas in the first place, but yeah, I thought Avatar was a pretty half-assed revision.

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    their mining
    Two in a row.

Also, this movie is a bucket of cocks. Lowest common denominator shit. ROBOT KNIVES.

7. Thing is the Disney vision of Pocahontas ripped off Dance's With Wolves and so forth. There's also this which is a pretty good read.

Like Avatar, Call Me Joe centers on a paraplegic - Ed Anglesey - who telepathically connects with an artificially created life form in order to explore a harsh planet (in this case, Jupiter). Anglesey, like Avatar's Jake Sully, revels in the freedom and strength of his artificial created body, battles predators on the surface of Jupiter, and gradually goes native as he spends more time connected to his artificial body.
    Seriously, you could do this all day. With any movie from the last twenty years. Not liking Avatar because you don't like it is one thing, but anyone who thinks it's the only case of retelling a ton of stories that already existed and then they choose that false reason to dislike it is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Two in a row.
    Fuck you guys, I was typing in a hurry.
    Last edited by Opaque; 12 Apr 2011 at 12:33 AM.

8. I agree with everything else but enthusiastically approve of robots fighting dinosaurs with knives.

9. Go back, watch Terminator, Aliens, Abyss, Terminator 2, and True Lies again, and forgive Cameron his transgressions in the quest to own EVERY DOLLAR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

I've recently watched all of those, except the Abyss. What's the point you're making? That Terminator is a shit movie? I'll kill you.