Page 1 of 147 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: The Metal Thread 4.0

1. The Opeth Thread 4.0

Okay, you guys all know the drill by now. Chat away about anything metal.

2. ghghg
    hj

Last edited by station82o; 04 Dec 2004 at 01:17 AM.

3. Some breif reviews of bands I've heard on mp3...

Seraphim (Taiwan): This band could easily change its name to "Dream Theater of Tragedy," which would pretty aptly describe this mix of beauty-and-the-beast doom and prog-metal....The musicians in Seraphim are competent and their female singer is actually pretty good, but overall the band sounds like it either can't decide what exactly it wants to do, or it's trying to be in too many conflicting places at once. It's a novel idea, but the whole thing doesn't gel correctly. If they would drop the death vocals then they might have a better album. If you like really weird, drug-inspired music, then you might appreciate this; I don't like it.

Abortion Clinic (USA) - What can I say, these guys rip off Stormtroopers of Death in every way imaginable. The lyrics are pretty funny but the novelty wears off pretty fuckin' fast.

Gate of Meditation (China) - This may very well be China's first and only power metal band...it's just an instrumental from a one-man band project, pretty good, but since I've heard neither hide nor hair from this band other than this mp3, I can't say anything else for it.

Skylark (USA? Dunno) - Ugh. Completely nutless power metal with shitty vocals, and it tries to rip off the Europeans every chance it gets. If you're hankering for US power metal...look up one of the 50-some-odd bands worth checking out and leave this to rot.

4. Damn.

I know it's only been like a day, but this thread is awful deserted now.

5. This says it better than I ever could about the new Iron Maiden live album...it got 5 starz out of 5 at www.knac.com

Prepare yourself for something giant...

Iron Maiden's show at Rock In Rio in January last year was the band's biggest headlining event ever. The six-piece played in front of 250,000 people and this historic show is now out on a double CD - - the whole show as it went down in Rio.

Just for the records: Rock In Rio is only the second (official) release of a complete concert recording. The first was Live At Donington, which was originally released on November 8th,1993. All the other live albums are compiled from either two gigs (Live After Death, 1984) or feature recordings from many different shows (Are Real Live/Dead One, 1993). By the way, for the first time ever, Iron Maiden thank their keyboard player in the booklet (Michael Kenney). Nice one!

The track list is the same as on Maden's European Brave New World tour, so after a lengthy intro you get "The Wicker Man," "Ghost Of The Navigator" and "Brave New World" in one go. All in all, there are six tracks from Brave New World on RIR. The other three are "Blood Brothers," "The Mercenary" and "Dream Of Mirrors." You also get some of the highlights of the last 22 years: "Wrathchild," "The Trooper," "Brave New World," "Sign Of The Cross," "The Clansman" (can you imagine what a quater of a million Brazilian Maiden fans shouting along the chorus line "Freedom!"? sound like?), "The Evil That Men Do", "The Number Of The Beast," "Sanctuary," "Run To The Hills" and many more. Unfortunately, "Wasted Years" is sadly missed. Well, maybe next time...

RIR is a real live album in the truest sense of the word: no make-up, no edits, no overdubs. Instead it's got a real concert atmosphere up to the end of the second CD: Maiden finish with "Run To The Hills" at 3:50, Bruce says good night until 4:08, then you can hear these masses of people shouting and whistling until they're blue in the face (7:14, i.e. more than three minutes!). Then the usual Monty Python's "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life," is played over the PA and that goes on for another half a minute.

Produced and mixed by Kevin Shirley and Steve Harris, I just think RIR is the best Maiden have ever sounded: tight and perfect timing, immense power, great playing and a killer sound. Don't know if I've ever heard a better live sound of theirs or perhaps I'm just over-excited. And then the crowd: 250,000 Maiden fans shouting their guts out of their throats throughout the complete show sounds simply stunning.

Anyway, Iron Maiden just do it for me on RIR: fat but crystal clear drums, powerful guitars with distinct sounds, a great twangy bass sound with a really sharp attack and Bruce in top form. RIR might well be the highlight of Iron Maiden's career. They've set themselves a monument. A milestone in rock history.

Track listing:

CD1:

1. Intro
    2. The Wickerman
    3. Ghost Of The Navigator
    4. Brave New World
    5. Wrathchild
    6. 2 Minutes To Midnight
    7. Blood Brothers
    8. Sign Of The Cross
    9. The Mercenary
    10. The Trooper
    11. Brave New World (Enhanced Video)

CD2:

1. Dream Of Mirrors
    2. The Clansman
    3. The Evil That Men Do
    4. Fear Of The Dark
    5. Iron Maiden
    6. The Number Of The Beast
    7. Hallowed Be Thy Name
    8. Sanctuary
    9. Run To The Hills
    10. A Day In The Life (Enhanced Video)

Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

6. Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

7. I got the reissue of Somewhere in Time...and the production is sorta muffled. Did the original sound like that too?

8. Originally posted by CorruptedOldGnom(sic)
    I got the reissue of Somewhere in Time...and the production is sorta muffled. Did the original sound like that too?
    Yeah, it did sound pretty muffled.

But then, so did most of Maiden's old records. That's just the way records tended to sound back in the day.

9. For anyone who has the new Iron Maiden RIO album, I'd suggest putting in disc 2 in your PC and watching the Enhanced CD portion of the disc...its a preview of the forthcoming DVD and shows Maiden's "Day in the Life" at the Rock in Rio festival, pretty funny and very fuckingg cool. You may have to download a newer version of quicktime thats stored on the cd but its well worth it.
    Commentaries and Opinions on Metal

10. That's a cool video and the mixing done on the live album is amazing. I was going to hold off on it because I'm not into live albums that much but this one is mighty good.

Right now, I'm changeing moods faster than I don't know what, I've been jumping between Alchemist to Vintersorg to Blind Guardian to Iron Maiden to Nightwish to Opeth and on and on.. I can't figure out what it is I want to listen to :/

ºTracer
    o_O