Page 1 of 7 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: What is the absolute state-of-the-art in HDTV

1. Xbox 360 II What is the absolute state-of-the-art in HDTV

So, I'm going to trade my old beat up HDTV in soon, to get something else. I have about 3 grand to spend. What are the latest bits of technology I need to look out for. I hear some new HDTVs can do sterescopic 3D, but that might only be in Japan. Also, is it 120hz or 240hz I need to look out for? What's the point of having USB inputs? Some TVs have built in internet now?

I'm wanting something at least as big as what I have now, but picture quality is more important than size IMO.

2. Skip the gimmick shit, get the best picture.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. led backlighting (my netbook has this, it'll burn your retinas)

basically that's the only real thing you should be looking into if you're getting a higher-end tv, the 120hz stuff just speeds up the refresh and lets you watch 1080p/24 bluray video (24fps, cause some math equation says 24 goes into 120 an even number of times so it can display the framerate properly)

4. splorgenborg

Make sure that it has Disdik™ or you're just throwing your money away.

6. Ask Gooch, he buys a new HDTV every other month

7. The 120Hz thing is pretty pointless., since it can't actually accept a 120Hz signal. It just does some frame-blending or interpolation or some such nonsense to the 24Hz/60Hz signal.

8. plasma is still the best imo, even though LCD advertises all the crazy features.

9. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The 120Hz thing is pretty pointless., since it can't actually accept a 120Hz signal. It just does some frame-blending or interpolation or some such nonsense to the 24Hz/60Hz signal.
    I just want to add that my friend has 120Hz and I hate it. It makes movies look like reality TV or a rehearsal. It's just my opinion of course, but I really didn't like it. You might want to find a friend that has it or a store to see if you like the effect before you take the plunge.

10. I've been told it can fuck up various timing on games, and god knows you get asshurt on Rock Band calibration.