Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disney acquires Marvel Entertainment

1. Disney acquires Marvel Entertainment

Woah. Disney now owns Marvel outright (for 4 billion big ones).

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/42204

Current plans are that all movie deals remain with the respective studios that own them (Spiderman with Sony, X-Men with Fox, Iron Man with Paramount, etc), but once those deals expire the distribution rights will revert to Disney. Also, Pixar movies based on Marvel characters are being discussed.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Well thats just about the worst fucking comic news ever. "Also, Pixar movies based on Marvel characters are being discussed." ...and thats the cherry on top. I can just visualize hyper cartoony 3d versions of the avengers and shit. Horrible.
    NowPlaying: Battlefield series . DarkSouls . MGS collection . Cap+SNK fighters . AceCombat series . ArmoredCore series

3. I don't see this as a negative unless the current studios fuck up their own pictures on purpose so Disney doesn't capitalize on their hard work and brand awareness. But... I mean... who cares who produces it? Marvel has funded and produced their own movies for a few pictures now and they turned out pretty good (Ironman was rad, Hulk wasn't that great but it did stay true to the comics if nothing else). If it's being done in-house this seems like a natural pairing. I'd rather it be Disney than Paramount, or NBC Universal because they've really set themselves straight since Eisner walked the plank.

We just had to suffer through DeadPool shooting laserbeams out of his eyes. So fuck Fox. I doubt Pixar would want to take on a Marvel movie. Their product is all about unique, new and fresh intellectual properties. After seeing The Incredibles, though... I'd be curious to see how awesome it could turn out. Maybe a new cartoon on the horizon.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 31 Aug 2009 at 12:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. I hear they're working on a Howard the Duck vs Donald Duck one-shot.

CONFIRM/DENY

Marvel already sucked with the exception of Spider-Man and Iron Man, but this pretty much marks their death. I can't wait to see how X-Men can get even more politically correct and terrible under Disney's watchful eye. Maybe That's So Raven can be a new character.

6. Spiderman 3 was terrible, so only Iron Man remains.

I'm not talking about the movies.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Marvel already sucked with the exception of Spider-Man and Iron Man, but this pretty much marks their death. I can't wait to see how X-Men can get even more politically correct and terrible under Disney's watchful eye. Maybe That's So Raven can be a new character.
    You realize Pulp Fiction is a Disney movie, yes?

9. Disney is will be the distributor (After Fox and Paramounts deals are done) and Marvel will still produce their products.

The same deal happened when Disney acquired Pixar.

CEO of Marvel Ike Perlmutter is still in charge of Marvel.
    I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chux View Post
    You realize Pulp Fiction is a Disney movie, yes?
    The sun even shines on the horse's ass sometimes.

Plus, Disney didn't acquire Miramax until 1993, and Pulp Fiction was released in 1994, meaning it was likely done or close to it before Mickey had a chance to fuck it up.
    Last edited by Yoshi; 31 Aug 2009 at 01:28 PM.