Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Graphics realer than life"

1. On stage you have a different story; facial expression has to be visible across a fair distance, so they wear makeup to enhance expression and reflect light better than normal human skin.

Alot of this stuff came out after the Columbine thing, when everyone was talking about how media can desensitize us to violence. Everyone started thinking how fucked up we must be since we don't recoil in horror every time we see someone killed or harmed on film.

But the fact is, the brain knows it's being tricked into viewing electric cardboard-cutouts, which is why you have to do more to fool it into buying the reality of it.

There are plenty of other psychological factors as well, but you just asked why 3D artists had to do more to create the illusion of depth. The answer is that no matter how much bump-mapping you add, the brain still knows there is none.
    -Kyo

2. Originally posted by StriderKyo
    There are plenty of other psychological factors as well, but you just asked why 3D artists had to do more to create the illusion of depth. The answer is that no matter how much bump-mapping you add, the brain still knows there is none.
    Yes, but the trickery can be done. In Warcraft III, the FMV comes this close to fooling me it's real at times, and if watched from any sort of distance (so that it's a bit blurry) it looks real. But the detail is usually what throws it off.

Of course, another large part is the animation. If that had been better in The Spirits Within, that would've looked twice as good. And if they had finish lip-synching it, but that's a discussion for another time.

Erm... not that I would have Warcraft III or anything yet...

3. Ohhhhhhhhh!!!!! where'd you get it? I can't find it. well i did, but the connection blows Only 4 more days! Who's making the official thread!?

4. why woud you want graphics that are realer than life...thats fuckin gay.

if i want graphics that are realer than life, i'll smoke a joint, put some sun glasses on, and walk around the city....

3D modeling has all but lost its charm IMO, i skip every FMV i encounter and i wish Star Wars movies still used models. lets leave it at that.
    -----------------------
    http://www.gamegen.com/fightgen/dhalsim-yyy.gif
    -----------------------

5. Um... people? Hello? "Realer than life"? What are they, stupid?

I'm assuming all of you have hands, right? At least one. I'm guessing you're probably not typing using some odd setup where you blow on a tube or something.

Look at your hand. Wiggle the fingers a bit. Note the lines on the palm, the smooth and clean way everything bends together. The light on the back of your fingernails, the odd little dents and bumps all over it.

We're nowhere even close to being able to realistically model that, and if you think that's bad go outside and look at a blade of grass, or weeds, or something. Worse, look to the horizon and turn in a circle.

It's going to be a long, long time before we can do life, and then we won't have the manpower hours to do it. The only way we'll be seeing real-life graphics is by looking outside.

One last point- "Realer than life" is an oxymoron, and a really stupid advertising phrase. Where do they get these lines from? Ugh...

James