Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 911121314 LastLast

Thread: Addicted to Hot Sauces

1. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    I think we reached peak kimchee last year. Now its "barrel aged" - its gone too far.
    A chef I know goes apeshit for anything Korean and keeps her shit out to make it go "rancid" before she considers it good. I like kimchee and aging as much as the next person but why do trend jumpers have to ruin everything? I'm just hoping the crazy shit Mexico has doesn't become oversaturated. Then again cooking proper mexican food takes a shit ton of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

Does she eat half developed chick's from eggs too?

3. "Rancid" is probably the wrong word, but I catch your meaning. We do a couple things with fermentation, but it's a legitimately dangerous thing to do without any knowledge. You are almost assuredly going to make people sick. We do fermented oats (gives them a beerish yeasty flavor quite nice in savory stuff) and the gochujang. The rest is still in R&D phase bubbling away in a corner for us to mess with on ourselves.
    Boo, Hiss.

4. This is my favorite sauce at the moment:

I wish it were hotter, but the flavor is amazing. They add coriander to it which gives it a very distinct taste. Goes really well with sweet foods.

5. I was at Tijuana Flats (Tex Mex place) today, wanted to buy a bottle of Endorphin Rush sauce. The girl at the register said I had to sign a waiver if I wanted to buy any of the top shelf. I was looking at the top shelf and noticed a very small bottle of sauce sittin next to much larger bottles. It was a bottle of Da Bomb The Final Answer sauce. A pepper extract sauce with the proud claim of a 1,500,000 rating. Shit, that's a lot of zeros for a Scoville scale. So I asked for the waiver, looked it over...

You will not sue the pants off of us due to this sauce, won't give to kids, won't be a dumbass. So I signed it WTF right? She goes to ring it up, this is a 2oz, TWO OUNCE bottle. She rings up to 39 bux.... hold on ma'am, lemme check something. Whip out my phone and it's going for 30+ some odd dollars everywhere online (if it's even in stock) plus shipping here and there. Damn man, if shits being sold for thaat much it gotta be legit. So I buy it cuz why the fuck not? Finally get it home. Holy shit, I need a while to collect my thoughts but a single drop was a rush I haven't felt in years. Amazing stuff. Will post a review later.

http://www.fvza.org/index.html

6. I went through a spicy foods phase last Summer. An old coworker grew a bunch of hot peppers in his garden, even some ghost peppers. I got to the point where I'd wake up in the morning and eat a piece of the ghost pepper just to jolt myself awake and was casually eating peppers like jalapeños and habaneros like they were potato chips. I also made my own hot sauce from the ghost and Thai chilli peppers and would slather it on everything I ate. I couldn't enjoy food unless it was super spicy. I'd even cover cheese burgers with sautéed jalapeños (which was actually very tasty).

Too much spicy foods can wreak some serious havoc on your stomach and teeth because of the acidity if you over do it. I guess hot food can become kind of addicting because of the endorphin release but I kind of just grew out of it after a bit. I didn't even really like spicy stuff before that. I'm a lot more reserved with it now but occasionally indulge in some ghost peppers or super hot sauce.

7. You should try Poblano sauce out of Arizona (Acacia Artisans).

And Tapatio and Cholula, of course.
    No gnus is good gnus.

8. Sriracha is like ketchup now. Gotta keep chasing the dragon.

I was a big fan of Datyl Pepper sauce back on the east coast, haven't really seen it out here much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

9. Still a big fan of Texas Pete.
    Boo, Hiss.

Yeah. It's the jam.