Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: "The Legend of Zelda is my all-time favorite game."

1. On topic, yeah - if those were their best time with it, then why can't it be their favorite game? I find it a little odd that they haven't committed themselves and completed the damn thing, but who am I to judge?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    It is impossibly dense to directly relate games that offer a recursive loop of a small handful of levels that only "end" when the game runs out of memory to a game that has distinct quest progression and a concrete ending.
    I think it's relevant though. There needs to be a common denominator between something like Pac Man and Zelda which still defines both as "videogame." Given that pretext, then yes, any game can be felt for as good or bad, favorite or loathed, without the need to finish it.

Take the opposite argument - if someone said they only played an hour or so of Zelda and hated it, never finished it, no one would question it. There's no condition that someone must finish a game before coming to the negative conclusion, so why is there a burden for the favorable one?
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.

3. Hey look, a thread:

SEMANTIC ARGUMENTS ABOUT VIDEOGAMES
    Boo, Hiss.

4. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    Hey look, a thread:

Only 763 more to go.

"Video games" is two words.

What are semantics without grammar?

Your mom is two words.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    "Video games" is two words.

What are semantics without grammar?
    Not if IGN's style guide is to be believed

That's just more evidence for my case as far as I am concerned.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Sqoon View Post
    But the Iron Giant watcher would have at least performed the perceived minimum required of him: experienced it from beginning to end (the same way this could be argued for albums, literature, etc). Are video game players, by the nature of the medium, free of this responsibility?
    I would argue that they are, mostly. Although it is odd to not have ever finished your favorite game (when it is trivial to do so), Video games are complex in the composition of their elements. Unless something drastically changes in the game half way through, you can usually judge how much you like the game pretty damn quick.

I think it would be more odd for a person's favorite game to be totally narrative driven (like an RPG or maybe Metal Gear Solid). But if somebody picked something like Grand Theft Auto 4 as their favorite game and never finished the story that would make total sense to me (even if they are wrong).

10. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    Hey look, a thread:

This is at least more stimulating than the dirth of, "hey lets make a thread about a videogame so we can talk in galvanizing opposites of love/hate for it, call each other fags, boast about mounting your mom and call it a day" threads. So why not go poo on those too? Or is this easier being one thread about inconsequential value judgements and definitions of said judgements, versus 1234987123984692306494875293478 threads like the latter?
    Last edited by Hero; 28 Sep 2009 at 03:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Careful. We're talking about games here. Fun isn't part of it.